The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Why do men have things against mares? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/why-do-men-have-things-against-142392/)

BubblesBlue 11-03-2012 06:31 PM

Why do men have things against mares?

All of the guys I know hate mares. I really hate the sexist stereotypes.
I hear about it all the time and now I'm at the point whenever someone says they hate mares I jump down their throat.
I am REALLY getting tired of this.
last time I checked, none of my mares have bucked someone off and Heidi is one of the nicest horses we own.

Sorry about ranting...

Maple 11-03-2012 06:41 PM

I don't think it's a guy thing... I'm a girl and I dont care much for mares either. It's a personal opinion, much the same as breeds, colours, ect. Look at how many people think TB's are complete lunatics.

When I first landed in Ireland I was amazed by the amount of people who had something against chesnut mares in particular - they called them red headed witches and said their colour matched their personality - fiery. Of course theres no truth in it, a horse's personality/temperment wont be down to their colour, but it's an opinion and I leave them to it.

flytobecat 11-03-2012 06:43 PM

Actually, I know a lot of guys who prefer mares. They tell me they bond better with them for some reason.

Janna 11-03-2012 06:47 PM

I'm a girl and have never had a mare I really liked. I like studs and geldings.

QOS 11-03-2012 06:50 PM

I had only mare when I was young. I loved my mares and they were wonderful and never "marish".

Now I have geldings. My gelding are just the sweetest fellows -but had I found a really nice mare I wouldn't have had a problem owning another. One of the men we regularly ride with has a mare that he rides all the time. He trains and sells horses and people have tried to buy her and the answer is always no!!!

I don't care what sex a horse is...of course, I am a female!

DraftyAiresMum 11-03-2012 06:51 PM

I'm female (last I checked) and I don't like mares. Neither does my best friend. Our BO (who is a man) has nothing against mares, but won't have them on his dude string because every mare he's tried has been unpredictable during her cycle and hasn't liked strangers on her back. Most geldings just don't care, as long as they get fed.

I wonder: would you be this worked up if it were women saying they don't like/hate geldings?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saskia 11-03-2012 07:05 PM

I have a mare (a chestnut mare) and she's a bit of a witch. I like her and all but she's a lot more "work" than any gelding I've owned.

I like mares a lot, but sometimes I just get over the whole thing and all the work. Some of them are fine, but in general I think they're just a lot more moody.

MyBoyPuck 11-03-2012 07:12 PM

I'm not sure that has anything to actually do with horses. Think about it. Most guys like to be macho and call the shots. Mares don't normally take the back seat, so there's your personality clash right there. Some guys don't like women telling them what to do regardless of the species.

BubblesBlue 11-03-2012 07:12 PM

I would be worked up too if someone was insulting my geldings. Anyone who insults my horses will of course work me up. I just so happen to only own mares and I always hear about it so it drives me nuts.

bsms 11-03-2012 07:14 PM

I'm a guy, and I choose to do 95% of my riding on a mare. An Arabian mare. In fact, we just did 3 iterations of canter-turned-into-gallop-"WHOAA!!!!" along a 1/3 mile stretch of trail. My daughter, who only rides our gelding, was behind us and apparently Mia thinks that means "RACE"!

Guy on mare / girl on gelding :wink::

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...191d1_full.jpg