The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Lungeing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/lungeing-142410/)

horsecrazygirl13 11-03-2012 10:36 PM

Lungeing?

Hi I was wondering if you lower the lunge whip once your horse has reached the desired speed? That is the way i lunge and my horse is trained to increase speed if i dont lower the whip. I just watched a lungeing video and the person lungeing the horse did not lower the whip. Now I am confused.:?

flytobecat 11-03-2012 10:42 PM

I think it depends on who is training. After the horse is moving, I only raise the whip when I'm asking for a change. I keep the whip on the ground otherwise, so as not to pressure the horse.
I do know that a lot of people keep the whip up, to keep driving the horse forward.

Mochachino 11-03-2012 10:45 PM

I keep the whip down as long as he is moving forward the way I want him to, and raise it if I want him to change gaits, etc.

loosie 11-04-2012 01:41 AM

I don't raise the whip at all unless the horse hasn't heeded other signals & yes, if I need to signal with it, it is lowered the second the horse does as asked.

I do think it depends how they're taught - eg. some teach their horse that a raised whip means continue & lowering it is a signal to stop. But then many just don't understand how to train/reinforce a horse at all, so they continue keeping the 'pressure' on when the horse is doing as they desire, so the horse becomes desensitised to their signals & they have to get 'bigger' to get the same responses. Like waving a whip constantly as the horse is going around, like 'bumping' the horse with heels constantly when riding, etc.

Peppy Barrel Racing 11-04-2012 01:58 AM

I raise my whip up only to get the horse to the desired distance and speed as soon as that it accomplished I immediately put it down. I only raise it up again if I need to correct behavior, change directions or speed, then I immediately release pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayty 11-04-2012 06:26 PM

Different methods of lunging, none wrong.

My horses are trained to change up a gait when the whip is raised, and drop down a gait when it is lowered. When they are at the desired gait and speed, the whip remains in a 'neutral' position where it can still influence a lazy hind lind if required.