The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Transition To The Canter? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/transition-canter-142422/)

LoveIsTheAnswer 11-04-2012 12:49 AM

Transition To The Canter?

Hi, so I was wanting to buy a horse at my barn, and I tried her out and she was CRAZY! She jumped invisible fences, she did a full-speed ahead gallop when I was only asking her to trot.
Her owners do not take care of her. They haven't even ridden her in a year. She hasn't seen a farrier in such a long time. She got a huge cut on her front left leg and her owners didn't even care.
Now I'm getting to the point. The trot transition I can fix. It's just the canter that I'm struggling with. Whenever I ask her for the aid to canter, she arcs her hind & back up and goes to a full speed gallop. If it helps, she is a 8 year old throughbred, standing at 16hh.
:D

Chiilaa 11-04-2012 03:35 AM

Work on the earlier transitions first. Walk to halt, halt to walk. Once that is great, then walk to trot, trot to walk. Only when these are really solid can you expect trot to canter to be any good.

Jore 11-04-2012 07:31 AM

Exactly as Chiilaa said. My instructor has always taken that approach to training a horse so I've been doing the same with Indie.. and it's paid off. :-)

LoveIsTheAnswer 11-04-2012 02:50 PM

Thanks! Also what would you recommend for jumping? My riding instructor says she is a bit hot, so I'm kind of nervous of what she is going to do after she lands from the jump. How do I control her canter there? I tried half halting on her many times, but she doesn't listen.

jumanji321 11-04-2012 03:02 PM

Get her flat work solid before jumping her again. Once she is controllable on the flat, do some grids if she is still charging the jumps.

LoveIsTheAnswer 11-04-2012 03:09 PM

I know I'm asking for a lot. But does anyone know of any drills or methods I could use?
I really appreciate all of your helpful answers. I will be improving her flat. And then we will see if she is good for jumping. :)

Valentina 11-05-2012 05:51 PM

Do both yourself and the horse a favor - take a few dressage lessons (with a GOOD trainer). Then you can apply what you (and the horse) have learned to jumping.

Of course first thing is to get a good farrier to work on her feet and a vet to fix her cut, then try to find a saddle that fits her and you. The running is because she has not been ridden in a while and can not properly balance with a rider.

As previous posters stated - work her in walk/trot and teach her to balance and (with a half halt) re-balance, then ask for canter. After horse builds up muscle in trot then she'll be better able to carry you in canter without running off - and that will translated into good jumping habits.

DoubleS 11-06-2012 03:46 PM

..If her feet/legs are in such bad condition I don't think I would be riding her. She could just be trying to tell you that she hurts! I'd get her feet straightened up and he cut on her leg fixed before I'd do anything else. Health first, training second:)

LoveIsTheAnswer 12-09-2012 01:19 AM

Thank you!

Thank you to all of you. I will be applying all that when I ride her.
I just really hope she doesn't get crazy when Summer hits and she gets all energized. :-)

brittabam 12-10-2012 03:44 PM

I have a OTTB with similar issues. Just so you know it can take a year or so to fix the charging after the fence/gait issues. Their is no quick fix in horseback riding.

Before you can expect her to slow down after a jump you need to be able to collect and extend her gaits. I would start practicing this with the walk. As well has getting her collected.

I would also do a lot of work with trot and canter poles. This will teach her not to be so excited when she sees a jump. She will probably jump the ground pole at first but after some practice she should settle down.

Another reason she might be rushing after the jump is if she is launching to the jump. Without seeing a video I don't know if she is doing this but a lot of the times OTTB without a lot of training launch and run after a fence. In order to fix this you will need to teach her to go to the base of the jump.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!