The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   was in the saddle for about 3 hours today (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/saddle-about-3-hours-today-142473/)

ilovepets 11-04-2012 04:32 PM

was in the saddle for about 3 hours today

this morning i went for a trail ride with 3 other people. it started with riding with a friend to another persons house. we sat on the horses and waited to her to tack up. then the 4th friend was 50 minutes late which we werent expecting so we were sitting on the horses for a while. then when the 4th friend came, there was a little bit of confusion with a halter breakage. finally at 9:50 we left for the trails. after going form inclines and rocky trails we decided to go on an aqueduct, which was nice and flat. the ride lasted un tip about 11:40, but i was sitting on the horse since about 8:10. so after the ride my ankles were quite sore. when i got home i was really tired and have been taking many naps all day! :D

Janna 11-04-2012 07:41 PM

Lol Sounds like me . Left at10 got back at 4

Muppetgirl 11-04-2012 11:43 PM

Lucky you.....I could stay there all day:-)

ParaIndy 11-05-2012 12:40 AM

When I go on a ride, I usually stay in the saddle all day:) Isn't it great?

ilovepets 11-05-2012 04:34 PM

it was really fun but at the end of the ride my ankles killed!!! i am a little sore today but will be riding this weekend again :)

Foxesdontwearbowties 11-05-2012 06:06 PM

Oh, I remember when I first started riding for long periods of time. Holy crap I was sore!
But now I go from sunup to sundown, still sore sometimes. (:

ilovepets 11-05-2012 07:00 PM

i hope to start going on longer rides so i can get used to being in the saddle for so long!

Foxesdontwearbowties 11-05-2012 07:14 PM

Its worth the soreness! I'm lucky to get to ride on weekends as long as I want for the most part. (:

boots 11-05-2012 08:31 PM

ilovepets -- I wish many long days in the saddle for you. It's gotta be one of the best ways to spend time.

tinyliny 11-05-2012 09:48 PM

I am not able to sit three hours without taking a short walk break. But I am much older than you, I would guess. The ol' knees to be straightened and worked a bit from time to time by walking.

I bet your horses would have appreciated it you'd gotten down off them for that long wait for your friends. even a well-fitted saddle can cut off the surface blood flow to the skin right under the tree, so giving the horse's back some time without it being weighted is a courtesy you can give your horse from time to time.