The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   New shoeing options? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/new-shoeing-options-142480/)

horsecrazed09 11-04-2012 05:50 PM

New shoeing options?

So im a fan of barefoot but with high impact sports or riding on pavement or gravel its nice to have a shoe. I ran across an add in a for Healthteck horse shoes. it expands and contracts because its made out of polyurethane. Also it can be glued on so if i dont have to put holes in horses hooves. i like that idea! any one used them or anything like them?? here is a link to their site!

E-Commerce: Category - Happy Hoofwear

loosie 11-04-2012 07:32 PM

Hi,

Well high impact stuff on hard ground such as paved roads I think is particularly problematic with metal rim shoes. Don't know that brand particularly but the plastic shoes have been tested to be *marginally* less vibration/shock than metal, but not substantially. They're also still peripheral loading devices, which I think is the major issue. I don't see nail holes as a big issue with shoes though. Rubber under the entire hoof would be better when protection is required:wink:

horsecrazed09 11-04-2012 08:27 PM

On a horse with hard feet nail holes do not cause problems but soft feed get softer by adding holes takes away strength

Trinity3205 11-04-2012 09:34 PM

I have used these personally and love them. I did not find that nailing them on caused any issues except the need to reset them at about 5 weeks which was optimal anyway for trimming to keep a healthy foot. You can fill them with a pour in pad easily also. Of all the ones out there that I have personally tried, these have reigned supreme in ease of use, flexibility, wear, traction, price point and resets. I still haven't found another that is its equal on all levels.

GROUND CONTROL HORSESHOES (877) TRACTION

cowgirl4753 11-04-2012 10:12 PM

Too cool! Might have to try these next year!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

AmazinCaucasian 11-04-2012 11:06 PM

I'm skeptical of any shoe that can't be shaped. If you're glueing these on maybe...But nail holes in a "one size fits all" configuration is asking for trouble. I've used rubber shoes with steel inside (which allows shaping) and they worked fine

Trinity3205 11-05-2012 12:41 AM

That is part of the beauty of the GC shoe I linked. You can place the nail ANYWHERE. Even outside of the nail channel. We even adapted a set to a donkey who needed traction on a wooden stage floor. He wore only the inside part of the smallest shoe they make since noone had donkey sized rubber shoes or boots that would work. We nailed in between the traction nubs. Worked perfectly.

loosie 11-05-2012 01:03 AM

^I'm left imagining what a donk on a stage floor without extra traction would be like!!

Trinity3205 11-05-2012 01:08 AM

Well, they walk stiff legged and dont like to turn around at all till they finally sit down when they slip to much and refuse to move till you put down a rubber mat the smart critters they are ;D

loosie 11-05-2012 02:04 AM

^^Don't spoil my wild imaginings with the truth please! :-)