The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Opinions of Trimmer's Work? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/opinions-trimmers-work-142503/)

Lwhisperer 11-04-2012 08:26 PM

Opinions of Trimmer's Work?

I'm looking into possibly switching my horse's trimmer, as I don't feel he did a particularly good job the last couple of times. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the pics that this local trimmer posted on his ad... Does it look like good quality work? I am far from an expert on hoof work, though I'm trying to learn more.
My mare has been barefoot since I've gotten her and has white/black hooves that seem to be pretty strong compared to other white-hooved paints that I've seen. We haven't had any foot/hoof issues so far (I've had her 5 months) but I'd like her to have the best trim possible.
Not looking for advice on whether or not to shoe, etc. I will always try my hardest to keep her barefoot and trim regularly. Just looking to see what people think of this guy's work. I know the pics aren't the greatest, but it's all I've got. Thanks!

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/grd/3379270329.html

princessfluffybritches 11-04-2012 09:36 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I would not be looking on Craig's List for a trimmer. And there is nothing wrong with finding a farrier to give your horse a trim, I think a good trimmer would be harder to find sometimes

Lwhisperer 11-04-2012 09:40 PM

I call my farrier a trimmer simply because he trims my horse. He does both barefoot trimming and shoeing. I look on Craigslist for many things and have had great success thus far. It's true that you have to be careful when using it, but that's the case with any classifieds listings. Bought my horse from Craigslist, actually. I've searched many different places for farriers/trimmers and this happens to be one of about three that I can find in my area. I've heard "iffy" things about one of them and I use the other one currently, so this is the guy I haven't tried yet. Again, I'm not looking for opinions on anything other than the quality of the trimming work done in the pictures. Thanks again!

Appyt 11-04-2012 09:57 PM

I would call him and ask about his method. Be sure to be there for the trim so you can evaluate his horse handling as well as his trimming ability. He looks worth a try to me.. Compared to what your horses trim is now, do you feel this looks more like what you want? Also remember sometimes it takes a few trims to optimize what the trimmer is working for.. Always ask what they see as your horses issues to be dealt with as well as the good points of the hoof. :)

Lwhisperer 11-04-2012 10:08 PM

Thanks for the great advice, Appyt! It does seem from the "before and after" pics (the 2nd and 3rd ones on the ad) that this is more of the trim that I am looking for. I was not pleased with how long my last farrier keep my mare's toes the second to last time he came out. I'm afraid he's purposely trying to get me to shorten my trim schedule. I told him I was considering moving to every 4 weeks instead of 5-6 weeks (Caly's hooves don't grow very quickly) and right after I said that was when he left them considerably longer than he had before. Didn't give me a reason for why he did. She was in pretty desperate need of a trim about 2 1/2 weeks after that and I had to call him in to do her again.
This last trim seemed to be quite a bit better... Maybe he just had an "off" day? I don't know. Maybe I'll see what he does for the next couple months and then decide... But I've noticed that he likes to keep her heels longer than what people are saying is good on this forum. That seems to be something he does with all the horses at my barn. It looks to me like this trimmer puts the heels down closer to where they should be. But like I said, I'm not too experienced in this area. *shrug*

loosie 11-05-2012 02:35 AM

Hi,

With respect, if you admittedly don't know much about hooves, I suggest you do some homework first. Have you spoken to current farrier about what's going on & why? Have you had any other (knowledgeable) opinions on the horse's hooves? What sort of environment do your horses live/work on, because that also has a bearing on what may be considered 'ideal length'?

Yes, 'before & after' pics like that can look impressive to people, but I can't really say anything at all of his skill or knowledge from them. Most people can take a bad, neglected foot & make it look better. Of course, if you have no choice but to go blindly off ads, that's one thing, but I would be choosing a farrier based, among other things, on recommendations of knowledgeable people if possible.

Lwhisperer 11-05-2012 10:22 PM

Thanks for the pointers, Loosie! I'll keep researching. I've talked to my barn manager about our farrier and all she says is, "I don't know much about hooves either. All I know is that Scott (the farrier) has done my horses for as long as I can remember." Scott himself is not much of a talker so I've had a hard time conversing with him much. My vet is the only other "knowledgeable opinion" that I have access to. He came out to see her right after I bought her and said she had "nice feet for a paint." He hasn't seen any of her trim jobs from this farrier.

My mare is on pasture that is mostly short grass with minimal dirt/gravel spots. We ride in our well-groomed arenas regularly and occasionally ride out by the gravel road to the barn, but we stick to the grass beside the road instead of taking on the gravel itself. I don't baby her feet, but I wouldn't call any of the terrain she encounters particularly rough. I'll try to post some pictures of her hooves after her next trim.

loosie 11-05-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwhisperer (Post 1745966)
she had "nice feet for a paint."

That's right, you said something about white feet too, that I meant to comment on - lack of pigment - or for that matter, painted horses - don't have innately less hoof strength than others. The white feet thing is a myth & while genetics do indeed play a part, it's generally a matter of 'nurture over nature' that makes hooves better or worse.

Quote:

My mare is on pasture that is mostly short grass....
So if she's almost always on soft, yielding footing, particularly if footing may be slippery, a little extra wall length(ground surface, not forward) can be a good thing. If they're on hard, particularly flat footing - say lots of roadwork - then walls that protrude much past the sole will cause peripheral loading, as with rim shoes... or for that matter unpadded boots on a concave-soled horse.