The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My Horse Goes Too Fast (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-goes-too-fast-142549/)

ShiningStar 11-05-2012 11:08 AM

My Horse Goes Too Fast

I just got a new horse and she have exellent ground manners and is an very well behaved at a walk, but when I ask her to trot she will trot for a few seconds and immedietly transition to a canter, it is extremly diffucult to stop her and if I dont work hard enought to slow her down she will start to gallop and it scares me.:cry: I dont know why she does this?
Is there a way that i can fix this? And why she does this?

Thanx:D

DancingArabian 11-05-2012 11:18 AM

Could be her training, it could be you.

What is the horse's background? What's yours?

Are you riding the trot well? You could be accidentally cueing her to canter, bouncing around to try and regain your seat and then accidentally cue her for more speed.

Are you working with a trainer?
Posted via Mobile Device

ShiningStar 11-07-2012 12:00 PM

I dont think its her training because i rode her at the previous owners house multiple times for about 45 minutes at a time and she was perfect. when i brought her to my house she just started to do this. I have ridden lots of horses but i am still not that experienced. and no I am not working with a trainer.
Thankyou for your answer:D

DancingArabian 11-07-2012 12:27 PM

Ok new horse in a new location. She might just need a few more days to settle in and get used to the new sights and smells.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shropshirerosie 11-07-2012 12:27 PM

Hello Shining Star, I think that people here can guess what is going on, but without more information we can't really help you as we may be guessing wrong.

Ideally, your number one solution is to get a trainer. You may find that one session is all you need, or that you and the horse enjoy learning and you want to carry on with the trainer.

A much poorer alternative but better than nothing would be to post a video here of you riding your horse. That would certainly give you kore valuable feedback than you will get at the moment.:wink: