The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Future English Horse Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/future-english-horse-critique-142552/)

Sinister 11-05-2012 10:40 AM

Future English Horse Critique

I've been kind of looking around half heartedly for my next project horse when I stumbled upon this cutie. If I do buy him he'd be getting trained in Eventing, mainly Dressage and Jumping. I know the angle isn't great for a critique but it's all they have.
From what I can see [and I'm not entirely too great at confo critiquing] he has a nice shoulder slope, nice looking hind end, okay front legs, kind of short back and long barrel [not really a Morgan-y type person but isn't that common in Morgans?], a little petite for extreme jumping, but I just love that face. :lol:
Be as mean as you want I'm just looking around at options and this guy got my attention the most. Again if my critique is off I'm not that great at confo just yet, still practicing!

http://img.equinenow.com/equine/data...s/647380_1.jpg

This is what the ad says:

Sniper is a 3 1/2yr old 14.2hh black Morgan gelding. He has excellent ground manners is not pushy and is very respectful of your space and has had Parelli training does not bite or kick. He rides English and Western W/T/C backs up and has really good breaks does not buck or rear would make a great English mount or western pleasure for a advanced beginner/intermediate/exp rider or even a great project for a 4h rider. Asking $900obo (NO videos available). Serious inquires ONLY price will go up if we keep him through the winter. For more information please call (DO NOT email as i have NO internet at home) 207-xxx-xxx

Elana 11-05-2012 10:45 AM

The area between the peak of the croup and the back is weak (it is long and a bit hollow). He is also downhill in build (he doesn't look it standing on this incline).

If you are looking for a dressage horse you really do not want a downhill build.

I like the rest of him fine and he is a nice overall picture.

Sinister 11-05-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 1745016)
The area between the peak of the croup and the back is weak (it is long and a bit hollow). He is also downhill in build (he doesn't look it standing on this incline).

If you are looking for a dressage horse you really do not want a downhill build.

I like the rest of him fine and he is a nice overall picture.

I wasn't paying to much attention to wether he is up hill/down hill/up side down :wink:because he isn't square and the ground doesn't look even where he is. But thanks!

Boo Walker 11-05-2012 11:24 AM

There's something that grabs me about him too! In a good way, I would definitely go see this guy in person. He has "charm" -good luck and let us know what you find out!

TheLastUnicorn 11-05-2012 11:30 AM

Uphill or downhill is not actually determined by whether the croup is higher than the wither... While EVERY horse with a croup higher than the wither IS downhill, even horses with higher withers can be downhill in balance.

To find levelness you look for the LS joint (or in a photo we can usually use the point of hip as it will give us a good idea, if you can get hands on a horse then feel for it, it will be the soft spot along the spine just before the point of croup, you can learn to see it in photos with practice) and the lower cervical curve (the lower curve of the neck - also the widest part of the neck)

You draw a line from those two points and it will show you how level, downhill or uphill the horse is.

I like the overall package of this little horse, he's neat and tidy, definitely cute, but not specifically as a dressage/jumper project... As an all around general riding buddy I'd be smitten though.

Sinister 11-05-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastUnicorn (Post 1745103)
Uphill or downhill is not actually determined by whether the croup is higher than the wither... While EVERY horse with a croup higher than the wither IS downhill, even horses with higher withers can be downhill in balance.

To find levelness you look for the LS joint (or in a photo we can usually use the point of hip as it will give us a good idea, if you can get hands on a horse then feel for it, it will be the soft spot along the spine just before the point of croup, you can learn to see it in photos with practice) and the lower cervical curve (the lower curve of the neck - also the widest part of the neck)

You draw a line from those two points and it will show you how level, downhill or uphill the horse is.

I like the overall package of this little horse, he's neat and tidy, definitely cute, but not specifically as a dressage/jumper project... As an all around general riding buddy I'd be smitten though.

Thank you for the clarification of down hill/up hill!

Well he'd just be a training project that would most likely end up at my instructors barn for lower level eventing or one of the kids that rides there because he is a little on the shorter side, to me he's perfect size, but most of the english riders around here are looking for 16hh+ types for anything higher then Novice level.

ParaIndy 11-05-2012 02:39 PM

I would say go look at him! Something about him attracts me also, and Morgans can be great horses. Good Luck!

Sinister 11-06-2012 12:45 PM

They sold him yesterday. :(