The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Jerk Gelding Wont Stay in Fence (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/jerk-gelding-wont-stay-fence-142558/)

jessicashallperish 11-05-2012 10:57 AM

Jerk Gelding Wont Stay in Fence

didn't really know where else to put this! i need advice. I just brought my horses home from boarding for the winter (so i can easily give them food if the weather gets poopy) and they hadn't even been home 24 hours when my neighbor calls and says theyre gallivanting through the field next to her house (corn field) It was 7 a.m *******S. anyways, i caught them easily, they were tired.. like.. panting and steaming tired. I walked them for about 30 minutes to cool them off, rubbed them down and locked them in the barn. a few hours later i went back out, gave them water, and then proceeded to fix the fence. its electric fence, and they are used to it. theyve been kept in it for years.
anyways i fixed it (and realized it wasnt plugged in so it didnt zap them) plugged it in, let them out, lead them around and made sure they could see it. not ten minutes later, the gelding puffs his big old "studly" chest up and struts up to te corner of it, sniffs it, leans on it, get shocked, and bolts through it. then the mare leaps it and they go charging across the field...
i fixed it again after i caught them and let them out for about an hour, watched them closely, and locked them up for the night. i didnt want them getting out in the middle of the night. is there any tricks or advice anyone cane give to keep them in? i hate electric fence but its all we can afford at the moment :|:oops:

poppy1356 11-05-2012 11:02 AM

Higher voltage.

jessicashallperish 11-05-2012 11:06 AM

I bought one that is the highest voltage they sell at tractor supply, it has a weed burner on it, and its strong enough for 40 miles with 4 strands, i have 2 strands and less than an acre of land that theyre on. it has a meter on it that says its at its strongest.. my boyfriend touched it and almost peed himself. lol I think i might go get some white tape fence and string around the top. or put something in that corner that flaps so he wont go over there.

poppy1356 11-05-2012 11:09 AM

We use the electric tape and my genious white loving horse feels the need to touch it every now and then. Last time she flew back almost 20 feet. Not sure how high ours goes though. Is it grounded properly?

jessicashallperish 11-05-2012 11:12 AM

yes the ground is drove pretty far into the ground (that sounds so dumb) and it has about 4-5 inches sticking above ground. my dad set it up. its definitely shocking him when he touches it, i see his body jolt and hear it snap. I think hes just being a pain in my butt on purpose. he did this when i first got him a few years ago, would walk right through it.

Dustbunny 11-05-2012 11:14 AM

Are you using steel t-posts to hold the fencing? If so, you could also add a heavier barb-less twisted wire attached directly to the posts along with the electric fencing on insulators. That's the least expensive thing I can suggest for a quick fix.
Good luck. Having horses out is a scary thing.

jessicashallperish 11-05-2012 11:17 AM

we use the plastic posts that you can move ( we have to move our fence here and there alot, since we dont have legit fencing yet so the tractor can get in and out with hay)

poppy1356 11-05-2012 11:18 AM

Plastic? How high is this fence?

jessicashallperish 11-05-2012 11:28 AM

theyre made for electric fence. its about 4.5 feet.

poppy1356 11-05-2012 12:12 PM

I've seen plastic covers for the metal t-posts but never a plastic post. I would find something more sturdy. Maybe put a wood fence in that corner.