The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Can I brag??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/can-i-brag-14259/)

appylover31803 09-02-2008 06:46 PM

Can I brag???

For the past 2 months or so, I've been working with Gem to pick up his feet. I have been able to pick them up no problem, but it was never long enough for the time that a farrier would do it. I thought he would have to be sedated the next time he would need his feet done.

Today, the farrier came out to do the warmblood and the mini at the barn. Tom and I figured that we could attempt to try Gem. The we didn't have time to schedule an appt with the vet, so he would be drug free. As I was bringing Gem in, i heard that he had a loose shoe. It turned out to be his left front shoe. So it was impertive that he get his feet done today.

When it was Gem's turn, i took him out, turned him around, the farrier began his work. Gem had a few little freak outs, but nothing major that stopped the farrier from doing his job. Gem successfully got his shoes pulled and put back on, as well as the filing and everything else that goes along with it.

Tom, our BO, our farrier and myself all cannot believe it! Gem did it! Gem got his feet done without any drugs. And its all because i've been spending the time with him to make picking his feet up enjoyable and making him realize nothing was going to happen. He did so well because I helped him. I cannot tell you how great it makes me feel. :D

Just wanted to brag on my accomplishment :) Thanks for reading!

horsey*kisses 09-02-2008 07:12 PM

THATS GREAT!!! lol my horse is kinda the same he doesnt like the nailing part and tries to kick the farrier, :oops: its never connected thank god lol
thats amazing congrats!!!

appylover31803 09-02-2008 08:06 PM

Thank you!

Tom and I went back out there to see how he was doing. He looks fantastic... even better than the first time, and he just looks so happy and youthful!

NorthernMama 09-02-2008 10:15 PM

Congratulations! Your time has paid off. Keep up the exercises with her feet so she knows it wasn't just a one-time deal. Nice to feel success, and rightly so.

appylover31803 09-02-2008 11:51 PM

Oh i will definitely keep up on it, not doubt about it!

And now that his feet were done once again, we can upgrade his conditioning. I was mostly walking him and trotting him for like 5 strides or so for about 20 min. Now, since he's obviously feeling better, we can up it.

I'm glad Tom and I were able to buy Gem and really save his life....thinking about getting a rescue for my next horse.. i'll see...

Kirsti Arndt 09-03-2008 09:23 AM

you should feel very good about your efforts!!!!it isnt the fun stuff either-great job to you both

Dumas'_Grrrl 09-03-2008 09:46 AM

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0049.gif Happy Dance!!!! Good Job Darylann!!!! Isn't it just amazing the way it feels when all your work starts paying off!?!?! :D

appylover31803 09-03-2008 11:19 AM

thanks guys :D

Yesterday really proved to myself that I can help a horse and get them to a better place, and I really needed that... last night especially.

I'll be sure to update everyone on Gem's progress... probably won't be long before i'm cantering on him! :shock:

jazzyrider 09-03-2008 11:30 AM

yay for you and gem :D glad to hear it all went well

buckaroo2010 09-04-2008 04:18 PM

Yay for Appy & Gem :)