The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Is he fully broke????? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/he-fully-broke-142594/)

rubyhorse 11-05-2012 07:52 PM

Is he fully broke?????

I have just purchased a 3 yr old pony gelding for dressage. We were doing well he bronc bucked me off for no reason. Then he got a stone bruise. He was on stall rest for a month and is now sound. I have to drug him to ride and hand walk. I put on a saddle on him today not drugged and in 2 walk steps he started bronc bucking. Some people tell me even if he was off for a month, he shouldn't do that is he was truely broken. What do ya'll think? This my first time with a newly broke horse. Is there any good western trainers for young horses around Charlotte, NC?????

Casey02 11-05-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

We were doing well he bronc bucked me off for no reason
I would guess not...unless he was in pain and did that

Kayty 11-05-2012 07:57 PM

He's either very sore, or you have purchased from a suspect seller.
He should definitely not be bucking like that for something as simple as placing a saddle on his back.
And hell, please PLEASE for the love of god, don't get on him drugged. What is the use in that?

I'd be getting him thoroughly vetted, then sending him back for re-starting to a reputable breaker.

Spotted 11-05-2012 08:02 PM

No three year old is fully broke, in my opinion, he is still very young. I think you need to start from scratch with him. And never ride a drugged horse. You may think drugging calms them down, but not always, it can do the exact oposite.
Be very careful.

.Delete. 11-05-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1745661)
No three year old is fully broke, in my opinion, he is still very young.

Agreed. There is no such thing as a completely broke 3 year old. Sounds like a dangerous situation. Don't try to work with the horse without a professional there helping you. Certainly do not try to work with it while drugged, that could easily cause more problems.

Cinnys Whinny 11-05-2012 08:17 PM

I agree about him not being "fully broke." I also suspect the saddle. My horse is terribly sensitive in the back and I have to be careful what saddle I put on him or he will buck like a bronc as well, even walking on the lead.

This guy sounds like a good refresher course, starting with ground work is in order as well as making sure that saddle is fitting correctly.

I would generally be wary of any 3 year old that someone says is "fully broke" because generally it is unhealthy for them to break them before that age. And one person's definition of "fully broke" may be different than another's. I know a person in my area who says she "breaks" horses and she sells her horses as "fully broke." However I used to board at her place and in fact what she calls a fully broke horse is a horse where she can put a saddle on it, sit in the saddle and make it walk around in a round pen...that's it. To me that is merely a horse that is "started."

Training is the answer here, drugging is not and will never solve the problem, just cover it a little.

AnrewPL 11-05-2012 08:20 PM

“Broke” is such a relative term. When I learned to do it, originally the benchmark for a “broke” horse was three rides outside the yard and a set of shoes on. If it fit these criteria it was considered broken in and it was up to the rider to actually train the thing. Having said that I’ll also say that “broke” or “broken in” isn’t even a term I like to use in conjunction with horses, I don’t like to think about breaking anything, though some may argue that’s just semantics. But, should a three year old be carrying on like that? None of mine dare, they may buck if they are feeling good now and then but all it takes is a well timed disengagement of the hind end and they snap out of it; any horse can buck, bit if you are needing to give a horse drugs to saddle it, let alone ride it, then you have some serious problems. And what’s with the drugs anyway?, I never even knew you could even do that; is it safe?
By the sounds of it, someone sold you a horse they threw a ride or two into and said, “yep, he’s broke”. I’d be finding someone to retrain him from the ground up, and I’d guess he’s probably already getting some nasty attitude and if he throws you too many times he will learn to do it all the time. Get someone to retrain him, or take him back to where you got him from and demand your money back. I wouldn’t give him back to them to retrain, or re- “break”, if that’s what they gave you in the first place.

Ridemoreworkless 11-05-2012 08:21 PM

My experience is that horses dont settle down until they are about 5 yrs old. I could be wrong. I had a 3 yr old gelding that put me through the ringer. He was "broke" also. But first he wouldnt walk and then he wouldnt stop running. After about 2 yrs of ground work he finally came around.

AnrewPL 11-05-2012 08:32 PM

Ridemoreworkless has a good point, a horse might be well into 5 or 6 before they start to settle down, and that’s about the age you should hold off the hard work to let them firm up physically too. But even after that age they might buck. The only one of my work horses I have left is Cisco, about 21 or22 now, the cranky old turd will throw one or two in, in really sneaky ways at that, to see if he can get you now and then. And the most unbelievable one I saw was an ancient racehorse us kids learned to ride on. He was so quiet we’d use him for a jungle gym and ride him into a waterhole and use him as a diving platform; the old guy stunned everyone when he threw someone once; any horse can buck. But by the sounds of it you have something a bit out of the average on your hands, get him re trained or get your money back.

smrobs 11-05-2012 09:06 PM

IMHO, just judging from the issues you say you're having, I'd venture a guess that he was never really broke at all. Fully broke or well broke? Most definitely not.

I agree with others, get him fully vetted to make sure he's not hurting somewhere and then send him to a reputable trainer to have him properly started. Then, take some lessons with said trainer so that they can teach you the proper way to handle the young horse and ride him correctly.