The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mare with one ovary (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mare-one-ovary-142614/)

CattieD 11-05-2012 11:08 PM

Mare with one ovary

We have a mare with only one functioning ovary. We've had her vet checked and the vet has explained that the mare comes on heat, but only goes halfway into heat. From researching I have found that mares with one ovary are very fertile, and I have been wondering what is the best way to breed this mare seeing as she doesn't come fully into heat. Also once she is in foal will we have to give her special supplements or shots?? Has anyone ever experienced this?? She is being hand serviced and teased and wouldn't take the stallion we needled her as well and still didn't except the stallion. The gentleman who owns the stallion is going to try "force" servicing her. But i was beginning to wonder whether AI would be a better idea. Can anyone make suggestions?? Or have experienced this issue before.

CattieD 11-05-2012 11:15 PM

Also

Forgot to mention that the mare is 13-15 years of age and the stallion is 6. The stallion has been successfully breed and has foals on the ground. Its the mares first time that we've tried to breed her. She may have been in foal at some point in her life but the owner aborted the foal as she was being used to play polocrosse. The mare is extremely fit usually and quite dominate.

Merlot 11-05-2012 11:16 PM

I would NOT let him 'force' service her...A. it could traumatise her and do damage and B. If she's not in season you won't achieve anything anyhow. AI would definitely be a better way to go :-)

trainerunlimited 11-05-2012 11:19 PM

I'd vote AI simply because they can place the seman directly near the horn with the fertile egg and they will be able to tell exactly when she is about to ovulate, so they can breed her at the moment when she is most likely to catch. I wouldn't let the stallion owner try to force cover her so you're not risking injury to the mare or stallion.

CattieD 11-05-2012 11:20 PM

Traumatised

The vet has recommended we try it that way first as she can't fully come on heat. She wants to be with the stallion but because she can't fully come on heat she isn't keen on him mounting she squeals at them and everything. She's quite dominate. Do you think she will really get traumatised??

MyLittlePonies 11-05-2012 11:21 PM

If you breed her and having problems hand breeding, stick to AI for safety. If she isn't comfortable or happy then she won't concieve. It could be she doesn't like the stallion. She should be fine getting in foal with one ovary. It only takes one egg from your mare and one sperm. I would never "force" breed. If one of my girls had a problem hand breeding then AI would be an alternative. I have seen "force" breeding go bad. Some have results some don't. Personally I've not owned a mare with one ovary, but it shouldn't make much of a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

trainerunlimited 11-05-2012 11:22 PM

Lol, I would say if she is squealing and possibly kicking, etc, she is either just a bratty mare that needs hobbles or she doesn't want to accept the stallion. It also makes no sense that she cant fully come into heat. As I understand it, they are either in heat and suceptible to breeding or they aren't, not really any grey matter between the two unless someone with more knowledge can correct me.

trainerunlimited 11-05-2012 11:23 PM

It is hard to make a judgement on other people's word as people see things differently imo. xD

MyLittlePonies 11-05-2012 11:25 PM

Any horse can become traumatised in any situation whether the horse is used to it or not. If she's had a bad experience or nervous, she's bound to be upset and very well could have a bad experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

CattieD 11-05-2012 11:27 PM

I think hes going to try the hobbles on her and do it that way from what i can understand. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it costs for AI in Australia??