The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tips for keeping a white horse clean in the winter! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tips-keeping-white-horse-clean-winter-142663/)

Marissa08 11-06-2012 11:52 AM

Tips for keeping a white horse clean in the winter!

I recently started working with a black and white paint at my barn who is more white then black so he gets really dirty really fast especially his mane. Any tips on keeping him clean during the winter?

ThoroughbredJumper 11-06-2012 12:38 PM

My old TB was a darkkkk brown and white paint, more white than brown. The best advice i can give you is rubbing alcohol on a towel after a normal or rough grooming makes stains come out. and a slightly damp rag works like a sham-wow on dirt :)
As for if you will be showing, baby powder is a cheat ;D

Marissa08 11-06-2012 12:47 PM

Thank you! I'll have to try these ideas. I'm used to dark horses and never really had to keep a mostly white horse clean so I'm not sure what works :)

Tessa7707 11-06-2012 12:53 PM

A blanket and a hood would help a lot.
Like this hood EOUS Cotton/Lycra Horse Hood and Horse Blanket Neck Covers | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM
This Blanket RamboŽ Optimo Turnout Blanket | Dover Saddlery

Wallaby 11-06-2012 12:56 PM

As far as his mane goes, don't try to get mud/dirt out of his mane when it's wet - use a hard brush after it's dry to flick the clods out, then, once most of the dirt is out, you can safely do whatever you usually do.

ThoroughbredJumper 11-06-2012 12:56 PM

I recently gave away that paint and got a dark dark brown TB who could fit me correctly. Needless to say, i DO NOT miss cleaning Gent every day hahahha. but keep with it! We all know they sparkle and shine the brightest at shows ;D

Coffeejunkie 11-06-2012 01:37 PM

Also green spot remover is great for bath less clean up. Baby powder or corn starch for shows (for white enhancing, not a bathing substitute). The white (purple) shampoo as needed. Dawn dish soap works really well but don't use regularly as it can strip the natural coat oils. also a non-silicone based coat spray will help repel gunk. The mane as mentioned let it dry before brushing. Also make sure its well conditioned. If its more of a don't want to deal with it thing, could also consider roaching off the mane.

ThoroughbredJumper 11-06-2012 01:42 PM

ehh.... roaching... *shudders* i personally never liked the look or idea of chopping off a horses mane just cause its hard to maintain. imagine if that were your hair. Not happening. lol but i do agree with everything else CJ said.

Marissa08 11-06-2012 02:05 PM

Thanks for all the help! He's in a stall right now and gets turned out in the arena since he's not very nice to other horses but he's getting a lot of 'green spots' on his body and his mane is turning yellow :/

Tessa7707 11-06-2012 02:17 PM

If you do get warm enough weather to bathe him, the whitening shampoos work great. If you don't want to spend that much money on something like quicksilver, someone on here in another thread suggested adding Mrs. Stewarts Bluing to any shampoo and it works just like the expensive shampoos. Haven't had a chance to try that yet since I don't have a paint anymore. But quicksilver worked fantastically getting urine stains out of a paint mare's white tail and for whitening up her mane