The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Registering a grade mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/registering-grade-mare-142681/)

IRaceBarrels 11-06-2012 03:43 PM

Registering a grade mare

So my mare Kali, was a mistake foal. Some studs busted through a fence with her mom. She was never registered because the owner didn't know what stud was the father. I was told Kali is registerable as a Paint if I did DNA to figure out the father. I emailed her previous owner to get contact information on the "breeder", and was told that Kali's mother is dead. Am I doomed at this point to have a grade mare? If not how much is it to do a DNA test? It doesn't bother me that much that she isn't registered, but it has its advantages. Plus I really like knowing bloodlines.

churumbeque 11-06-2012 03:46 PM

If your horse is spotted then you could reg it as a pinto.

MelissaAnn 11-07-2012 02:41 PM

Kali can only be registered as a paint if one parent is APHA registered, and the other parent is a throughbred or AQHA. It does not matter if her dam is dead or not is she was registered. If her Dam was not registered, it's not worth doing any more investigation or testing. So that should be the first question you ask, because it seems like it was fairly easy to contact Kali's former owners. Good luck!

BB2 11-07-2012 03:23 PM

Subbing because I would also like to know.
Posted via Mobile Device

iridehorses 11-07-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelissaAnn (Post 1748208)
Kali can only be registered as a paint if one parent is APHA registered, and the other parent is a throughbred or AQHA. It does not matter if her dam is dead or not is she was registered. If her Dam was not registered, it's not worth doing any more investigation or testing. So that should be the first question you ask, because it seems like it was fairly easy to contact Kali's former owners. Good luck!

That pretty much sums it up. Unless both horses are registered, DNA testing does nothing.

lilruffian 11-07-2012 04:07 PM

To register her as a pinto, only one parent has to be registered paint/pinto.
To register her as Paint, she must be of QH or TB breeding and have one paint parent or else display body pattern markings of her own.
The others are right, though. If dam was registered, it should not matter if she is dead.
If she has no body pattern markings and sire/dam were registered Paint, she could still be registered as a breeding stock pinto but could not show as a pinto

MelissaAnn 11-07-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1748329)
To register her as a pinto, only one parent has to be registered paint/pinto.
To register her as Paint, she must be of QH or TB breeding and have one paint parent or else display body pattern markings of her own.
The others are right, though. If dam was registered, it should not matter if she is dead.
If she has no body pattern markings and sire/dam were registered Paint, she could still be registered as a breeding stock pinto but could not show as a pinto

This is only half right. "or else display body pattern markings of her own" is wrong. She MUST have one registered APHA parent, and the other MUST be registered TB or AQHA. It does not matter what her body pattern is on her own.

lilruffian 11-08-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelissaAnn (Post 1748349)
This is only half right. "or else display body pattern markings of her own" is wrong. She MUST have one registered APHA parent, and the other MUST be registered TB or AQHA. It does not matter what her body pattern is on her own.

I know that. But one of her parents has to have a paint pattern for her to be registered a paint or else she has to.

MelissaAnn 11-08-2012 11:50 PM

No, she can be solid paint bred and or one of her parents could also be solid but that does not effect their status to be registerable in any way. What matters is parents' registration.

IRaceBarrels 11-09-2012 07:13 PM

Well the previous owner and Kali's old trailer said she was regesterable so I'm guessing all horses involved were either APHA or AQHA, Kali doesn't look TBish. My main worry was that the APHA would want proof that the mare was her mother.