The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   what is a bosal? and hows it used? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/what-bosal-hows-used-14270/)

jazzyrider 09-02-2008 11:36 PM

what is a bosal? and hows it used?

i was looking around on ebay and its has bosals on there. it says its a form of bitless bridle but im confused. it doesnt look like any bridle ive ever seen lol

Harlee rides horses 09-03-2008 07:06 AM

A bosal is used on any horse 5 and under, for show at least. It's used on leverage... The big spherical shape in the back of the bosal going up and down when you pull the reins, that bumps the horse on their chin and then they slow down and set their head.

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2889_blbl_1.jpg

Here's a picture of Lizzy in a bosal. If I were to pull back on the reins to set her head or slow her down, she would get bumped in her chin and then she would know to do so. It's really effective!!

Sorry I couldn't explain better.

jazzyrider 09-03-2008 09:54 AM

no no thats good :) it explains a lot

i know you said it was for horses under 5 but im switching my 8 year old wb over to western (yeah i know...why??? lol). can i use one on him to help train him? not saying i will have to but could i if i needed to?

can a bosal be used with a bit as well?

sorry about the question overload :)

p.s. harlee your new horse is goooooooooooorgeous :D

farmpony84 09-03-2008 10:32 AM

a bosel is harsh though. I would switch him over w/ a snaffle using two reigns. Cross the reigns and then hold them about 8 inches apart and when you ask for a turn, use your leg and your seat, take the reigns and move both hands towards the direction you want to go, stop when the reign touches the neck, dont cross the neck w/ your outside hand. By doing this, you are teaching neck reigning. You can move on to a port bit as well but it would probably be easier on you if you arleady have neck reigning.

jazzyrider 09-03-2008 10:42 AM

ok so i start off with the snaffle (i feel sooooo dumb lol) and im holding my reins like i would for dressage??? i have ridden horses that neck rein before but ive never tried to teach it. do i need to combine any leg aids to teach reining? and basically im wanting him to move away from the rein pressure on his neck???

farmpony84 09-03-2008 10:51 AM

the leg and seat aids for western are very, very similar to dressage. You can carry the reigns like you would in dressage but what you'll do is you'll take both hands and move them to the right or left so that when you switch to one hand it'll be the same feel... if that makes any sense....

jazzyrider 09-03-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84
the leg and seat aids for western are very, very similar to dressage. You can carry the reigns like you would in dressage but what you'll do is you'll take both hands and move them to the right or left so that when you switch to one hand it'll be the same feel... if that makes any sense....

makes perfect sense :) thank you :D