The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   PA folks, possible dog fight bait (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pa-folks-possible-dog-fight-bait-142703/)

walkinthewalk 11-06-2012 07:05 PM

PA folks, possible dog fight bait

You rarely see me get involved in anything but grooming and health issues BUT this came across my local forum.

It is a huge burr under my saddle not only for the article but because I am from PA originally and am full aware of the big money in dog fighting.

This little guy is somewhere in the Philly area - if anyone cares to get involved. It may or may not go for bait in dog fights but Geezus-to-Geezus who in the h*** thought something like that up needs their family jewels cut off with a rusty knife---by me:evil:

Prayers for this little one to somehow, someway be rescued; it looks like that will be tough because the mini's far from thin - another reason it's ultimate end might be for dog bait:evil:

Using a mini horse for dog fighting bait - Broken Angels: Saving Animals Everywhere, A Forum For Animal Advocates, Rescuers, Cyberstalkers, Anyone Working to Save & Improve the Lives of Animals, One or Many

AlexS 11-06-2012 09:03 PM

What's the reason for thinking that the mini is going to be used for bait? Nothing was explained in the link.

walkinthewalk 11-07-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 1747162)
What's the reason for thinking that the mini is going to be used for bait? Nothing was explained in the link.

I am only guessing it's because of the location and this seems to be something popular these days.

I am from Mercer County originally. When I bought my first Rottweiler, the breeder told me to get him tattooed on his thigh, rather than in the ear, and keep him locked in the house when I wasn't home.

Reason being the dog fighters would cut the dog's ear off if if was tattooed. If a dog was locked in a kennel, they would throw meat with anesthetic in it, to knock the dog out, then cut the lock on the gate to steal the dog.

Mercer's only 70-miles from Pittsburgh where dog fight was big money, even back in the 90's.

That's why I don't have any problem buying into what these rescue folks suspicion. It's obvious the Mini is living in a garbage dump of a back yard that doesn't look much bigger than a dog kennel. If that's true, surely they are in or very near the city ---------------- and dog fighting.

MangoRoX87 11-07-2012 10:32 AM

I'm not sure as to why they would use a mini horse....completely different style of fighting, it wouldn't do the dog much good, one square kick to the face.
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 11-07-2012 10:50 AM

Meh, not sure I am convinced that just because the pony is in the city, that means it's going to be used as part of dog fighting. There have always been horses in Philly, and they are not always in the prettiest looking pastures etc.

I am very close to Philly and COULD help if there was more to the story than just the pony is in the city must be a dog fight situation.

Speed Racer 11-07-2012 10:54 AM

Yeah, kind of looks like a leap of illogic. :think:

Yes, the pony needs better digs, but I don't see why anyone would think from those pictures that he's in imminent danger of being used as dog fighting bait.