The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse attracted to oil tank noises???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-attracted-oil-tank-noises-142769/)

BB2 11-07-2012 12:29 PM

Horse attracted to oil tank noises????

I've been riding my new horse in the round pen and pasture a few times and decided to take her out on a trail today. It was a really short trail, and I wanted to see what she did away from the other horses.

She headed out from the barn OK. She didn't like it but didn't try to turn and go back. Once we got to the actual trail though, she kept trying to turn around. She would even try to go through the woods to get back to the barn. She wasn't taking off with me and she was still listening but it was annoying. She would basicay just zigzag down the road.

She wasn't hard to control though but it was annoying.

Then the WEIRDEST thing happened. There is an old oil tank location down that road and it makes this hissing and click noise about every 10 seconds. She heard that an was actively looking for it. It was odd, so I let her go to it and she went as fast as she could to that tank making the noise and was looking around. Then, she had a hard time leaving the tank. It was ODD. My horses usually spook at it but it was like she wanted to be near it.

She did awesome on the way home. She wasn't tryin to run home or anything, just a nice walk.

How can I teach her not to be soooo barn sour? And any ideas on why she really wanted to be near that noise?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fulford15 11-07-2012 12:40 PM

Just sounds like she's a curious horse, we have a 2 year old that we call "curious george", he will go anywhere to see everything, even if the other horses thinks it's scary, just personality! :D

As for being barn sour, just keep taking her on trail rides or even just leading her out of the barn yard, maybe trailer her somewhere to trails with friends?

BB2 11-07-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulford15 (Post 1748052)
Just sounds like she's a curious horse, we have a 2 year old that we call "curious george", he will go anywhere to see everything, even if the other horses thinks it's scary, just personality! :D

As for being barn sour, just keep taking her on trail rides or even just leading her out of the barn yard, maybe trailer her somewhere to trails with friends?

I have curious horses but this was odd...

She heard it an immediately went to it as fast as she could after I let her. Then, she wouldn't leave it.
Posted via Mobile Device

BB2 11-07-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulford15 (Post 1748052)

I have curious horses but this was odd...

She heard it an immediately went to it as fast as she could after I let her. Then, she wouldn't leave it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 11-07-2012 01:42 PM

One way to help a horse be less barn sour is to NEVER go out,turn around and ride straight back. Make a loop.. around the block if you will.

The other thing is that if the horse is zig zagging down the road instead of walking out, she is not moving forward and so needs to learn to move forward. Horses that do this are typically lacking in confidence and training.

When the horse realizes she IS heading home, and starts to speed up, you need to turn her away from home every time she speeds up and do a circle. For a truly barn sour horse you may ride out for half an hour and take 3 hours to get back to the barn.

When you get back to the barn, ride her in the arena and when you are done, do not immediately remove the tack and put her in a stall or paddock and feed her. Instead, leave her saddle on and put her up in the stall with no food and come back 15 minutes later and THEN undress her, walk her cool if she needs it and turn her out. After a half hour feed her.

The object of all this is to make going back to the barn a non reward. Make going back to the barn more work and no reward.

The speed and direction which a horse travels at is determined by the rider, not by the horse. If the rider cannot get the horse to do this, then there can be two issues. The horse needs more training or the rider needs more training.

Elana 11-07-2012 01:44 PM

Oh and I do not know why she was attracted to the oil tank. Hopefully it was not a "love" interest! LOL

BB2 11-07-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 1748129)
Oh and I do not know why she was attracted to the oil tank. Hopefully it was not a "love" interest! LOL

I have NO idea. It was really, really odd. It was more the noise of it she was attracted to. She could hear it before she saw it and was immediately looking around for it.
Posted via Mobile Device