The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   johnson/coastal hay (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/johnson-coastal-hay-142789/)

armydogs 11-07-2012 04:19 PM

johnson/coastal hay

Hi all! I was curious if anyone knew if johnson/coastal.hay was safe for horses. I am looking.for.hay in my area and came across some of this type of hay. I have never fed it before that I am aware of, and want.to be safe. What do you guys think?

verona1016 11-07-2012 04:56 PM

Coastal is good for horses, but I've never heard of Johnson. Maybe someone else can weigh in?

walkinthewalk 11-07-2012 07:08 PM

We've got a patch of Johnson grass that is fenced off from my horses.

There's a certain time of year when Johnson grass releases cyanide. My eye doctor knows that because they did an autopsy on his cow:shock:

This link uses the word "invade" when referencing Johnson Grass.

Johnson Grass Control | Missouri Department of Conservation

I'd bet my last truck load of bermuda hay against what you're looking at that Johnson Grass grew in with the bermuda and they couldn't kill it. The bermuda got so overrun with Johnson grass they decided to market it that way.

My bermuda hay is locally grown and there is about five percent of Johnson grass in some of the stemmier bales. My horses won't touch it - not any of the four of them.

I'm not saying not to buy the hay but here's the information as I am familiar with Johnson Grass, plus a link for you to decide:-)

PaintHorseMares 11-07-2012 09:52 PM

^^^ Agreed. Around here Johnson grass is considered a 'pest' grass in pastures, as bad as weeds. It grows very fast and tall and will take over unless you keep it mowed down. Horses will general eat new growth, but once it gets over a few inches tall, they won't touch it unless there is nothing else. If the hay has lots of Johnson in it, I bet your horses won't be happy with it and you'll wind up with a lot of waste.

Coastal (bermuda) is a good, southern grass/hay for horses.

armydogs 11-09-2012 01:08 PM

Thanks! I ended up going out and looking at it. Turns out it is more coastal than johnson grass. I ended up getting a few bales to try out, and my horses ate everything except for the real stemmy stuff.