The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Bit Suggestions.... (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/bit-suggestions-142793/)

BarrelRacingLvr 11-07-2012 04:51 PM

Bit Suggestions....

Ok...so I have been throwing this thought around in my head for awhile. If you guys have seen videos I have posted of Polly you know she is very light and very bendy....I have gone through all our light bits we have (Tender Touch, Easy 5, Jr. Cowhorse, Snaffles, half wonder, cervi, pozzi, Little S).

I REALLY like her in the little S but I need to wrap the noseband, set it higher and try it again with a different chin strap....I was going to do a leather one but then realized that wouldn't work because of the set up.

So I am thinking of making a chin strap out of cord and doing a braid like this....
http://www.animatedknots.com/photos/braid/braidR12.jpg

I have been practicing lol and really like the feel of it and have the size of cord I want. Plus it would be fairly light and soft for the precious bug lol.

So.....what would you do? Because she felt great in the hack....and I have NO idea what bit to try because I just didn't like the feel I had with those bits.

This kind of thing drives me crazy lol....it is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack at times!

beau159 11-07-2012 05:05 PM

I can't see your picture. :-(

But the idea sounds like a good one! If she seems to work great in it, use it! (With the said modifications.)

I'm not a bit guru so that's about all the help you'll get from me!

I'm still trying to figure what to run Red in too. So I feel your pain. :think:

I'm riding him in a Little S hack right now for the winter months (takes away the need to stick a cold bit in his mouth!) Plus I would like to get him lighter in the bit. I guess I have this notion that keeping him out of a bit for the winter will help the reining trainer I am going to take him to in Feb/March to help us with a few things.

BarrelRacer23 11-07-2012 06:20 PM

That sounds like a good idea to try. I like my horse in the little s, I had to wrap the noseband with vet wrap though. You could also just try keeping the curb pretty loose. There's the beetle hackamore, which I've never tried but I've always thought it looked pretty light.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 11-08-2012 02:30 AM

What if you used an o ring combo bit with a mullen mouth? If she's super light and bendy and does well in the hack, that might help since there's no joint and it's a pretty light bit.

Or really maybe anything with a mullen mouth since there's not a lot of bend in those mouthpieces.

Circle Y O'Ring w/Copper Mullen Mouth - The Tack Stop

SorrelHorse 11-08-2012 02:33 AM

Connie Combs Stabilizer Bit - The Tack Stop

Josey Go-Round Bit - The Tack Stop

DrumRunner 11-08-2012 12:44 PM

I can't see the picture either.

It sounds like a good idea though, I have to wrap Nikki's nose piece or it will rub her. I could probably give more input if I could see the picture.

I wish Bubba was still around, she was awesome with bits.

BarrelRacingLvr 11-08-2012 01:33 PM

See if this link works....

http://www.animatedknots.com/photos/braid/braidR12.jpg

Ya she is sensitive in her mouth and nose so it makes it hard to find something she truely likes and I like the feel. And she is SO stickin touchy....sorta like a car dont over correct or your going to be in trouble lol. So I'm thinking if I wrap the nose band to take away some of the bite and raise it up she would be more acceptable of it.

And SH I have a little reining bit that has a low Mylar I was thinking of trying and seeing. Same with the O Ring Combo, might try that and just hook it to the main rings vs gag rings.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! Keep them coming!
Posted via Mobile Device