The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How to teach horse to use her hindquarters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-teach-horse-use-her-hindquarters-14281/)

kitten_Val 09-03-2008 06:47 AM

How to teach horse to use her hindquarters

My trainer said my qh moves more on forehead rather than using her hindquarters (which also don't have enough muscles). So that's the main reason she's very hard to move to lope.

Any suggestions on different exercises IN A RING to teach her to use her hinds? Trotting up the hill is NOT an option as there are no fields/hills around I can use on daily basis.

Harlee rides horses 09-03-2008 06:52 AM

What I do is when I ask for a transition like walk to jog for instance...as soon as she picks up what I asked her to do so for instance the jog AS SOON as she starts jogging, pull your reins back, like do a half halt and sit back to get them to shift all their weight up on their hind end. Do that for transitions downward also. To know when they're on their hind end at the jog, you feel their front end start to pop up higher and you feel like they're going to speed up..

kitten_Val 09-03-2008 10:46 AM

Thanks, Harlee!

jeddah31 09-03-2008 10:50 PM

Really push her/him forwards and INTO the bridle.
Since you have no access to hillwork you'll need some exercises to help you to ask her to engage her hind end.

Transitions are great for this. Including transitions within the pace, so reallly slow her down in trot to ALMOST walking, hold for a few strides, then push out again to a normal working trot, then again into a even more forwards, more medium trot, then back down again. She'll have to use her hindquarters to push herself around.

Leg yeilding in and out of 20m circle, yeild in to a 10m circle then back out to a 20m. It'll work individual muslces and if she's going forwards correctly and she's correctly bend through your hands and legs, her hindquarters will have to be engaged.

I'm not sure what your exactly working on with her but Shoulder ins also bring the horses back onto their hindquarters

good luck!

kitten_Val 09-04-2008 06:32 AM

Thanks a lot, jeddah31!