The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Won't Canter On The Short Side (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/wont-canter-short-side-142810/)

BornToRun 11-07-2012 05:45 PM

Won't Canter On The Short Side

My gelding is frustrating me beyond belief. He won`t canter on the short side of the paddock with the gate. He`ll do it anywhere else in the field, but when I ask him to do it he`ll throw a fit, buck, or just trot faster.

Wahya 11-07-2012 05:48 PM

He could be giving a sign that he wants to leave that area

BornToRun 11-07-2012 05:55 PM

But he walks and trots it fine ...

.Delete. 11-07-2012 06:00 PM

Right but he is refusing to go more forward passed the gate. Which i agree is a sign he wants to leave. You need to anticipate him doing this, chase him forward with your legs to prevent him sucking back and breaking down.

Wahya 11-07-2012 06:03 PM

It is a possibility that he gets really hyper about it. Its just like a kid running so fast to get an ice cream from the ice cream man. Exactly! You just need to keep pushing him through it. When you come around to it, RIGHT where he freaks out, squeeze him with your legs. Do that a couple of times around. And what I did with my horse is that AND I got off, lunged him right where he would be freaking out, to get all of his beans out, got back on and did the same thing every time. And that went on for a 2 hours then give him a rest for the night, do what you do, groom him, feed him, whatever. Then do it the next time you ride

BornToRun 11-07-2012 06:09 PM

But it's like I can canter him up to that point and then when he gets to the corner he just goes back to trotting. I've even tried to get him to do it a foot away, but he still goes back down to trotting, and when I get after him he bucks. I can lunge him passed that point. It's just like how he can walk past something every day is fine about, but when I ride him passed it he acts like it's the scariest thing in the world. I don't understand ...

Wahya 11-07-2012 06:11 PM

Well horses are very tricky and flightful animals, when did he just starts this? has he always done this?

.Delete. 11-07-2012 06:15 PM

Sounds like he is being a jerk more than scared. He has gotten away with it uptill now and when you get after him he is throwing a fit.

BornToRun 11-07-2012 06:16 PM

Yeah he's always done it. I haven't been able to get him to do it, so I hoped someone could shed some light and advice

BornToRun 11-07-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Delete. (Post 1748658)
Sounds like he is being a jerk more than scared. He has gotten away with it uptill now and when you get after him he is throwing a fit.

... The previous owners left him a stallion until he was six and then stopped his training after their kids went to University and he pretty much stood in a field for about three years