The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   sandpaper on hooves (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/sandpaper-hooves-14282/)

Kirsti Arndt 09-03-2008 09:00 AM

sandpaper on hooves

is this ok? my Barn manager says it will get the mud and junk off-sonny is spending a lot of time at the edge of the pond =goober=
if it is ok will it make his hooves dull and ugly?

walkinthewalk 09-03-2008 05:54 PM

I would just go to WalMart and by myself a very stiff-bristled fingernail brush and use that.

Sometimes getting dried mud out of the frog area can be rough, but sand paper won't work between the frog and the sole anyway.

Sand discs are used by farriers who trim using the abrasive grinding method, but using sandpaper on a horse's hoof to get mud off is a new one on me and something I would never do.

My finger nail brushes and a quick buff afterward with a paper towel work just fine and there's no damage to the hoof:D

Edited to Add:
If the mud is caked on really thick, I have used worn-out bot knives to dig away at the bulk of the mud, then finish with the brush and paper towel

Sara 09-03-2008 07:47 PM

I guess sandpaper would work...I mean you don't have to grind off the top layer to get mud off. Honestly, I just use a plastic scrub brush, like the kind you use to do dishes. Anything with stiff bristles will do, really.

sempre_cantando 09-03-2008 08:59 PM

Sandpaper for mud? hmmm I don't know. But I agree with the others, buy a stiff bristled dish mop and wash away!

Kirsti Arndt 09-04-2008 09:08 AM

thanks people, it sounded too abrasive to me-i appreciate this
will do a little brush-boy gets really crusty!

jeddah31 09-09-2008 04:40 AM

we have stiff bristled brushes on our hoof picks for that :)

Kirsti Arndt 09-09-2008 12:10 PM

just bought one Jeddah31, at farm and fleet , works great and with the pic on it it is handy foot is already up!

My2Geldings 09-11-2008 06:23 PM

why would you sand paper your horse's hooves??? do you use sand paper on your finger nails when they get dirty or you get paint on them?

I don't understand why a trainer or someone would say that. The simplest way of getting rid of mud is hose your horse's feet down. No need to spend on money on brushes or other supplies. Wet mud is what starts the problem as, so nothing better than to use simple water to remove it :)

horsestar8100 09-12-2008 12:31 AM

I've actually read somewhere about using sand paper, and all I have to say, to the person who first did this, are you nuts? Sand paper strips the natural protectant on the hooves. Why do you think one of the bad signs of farrering is when they practically strip the hoof of all natural protectant? Go with an old stiff brush, like My2Geldings has said. I did this on a horse that was for sale. I wanted to do this to take off the mud that was caked onto his hooves (live in WWA, usa, so there's your answer), so they people that would be looking at him would be able to clearly see there was nothing wrong with his hooves. With an old stiff brush you can scrub util your heart is content, sand paper you can't. And water, sometimes it takes to long and those of us who have other things to do rather scrub with water, than with just water alone.

futolympeventer327 09-14-2008 03:29 PM

It's a show trick you guys. You use very finely grained sand paper to get the poo stains off and then you put on a hoof polish like tuff stuff and your horse's feet will look very pretty. The trick is not to over do it or you'll be setting yourself up for cracked feet.

For mud however a hard bristled scrub brush works wonders that's what I use in the winter.