The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Mutton withers or hollow withers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/mutton-withers-hollow-withers-142821/)

IndianHorseWhisperer 11-07-2012 06:46 PM

Mutton withers or hollow withers?

2 Attachment(s)
I am at a complete loss here and need some 2nd opinions. I am in the middle of training a half blind gaited mare and a chestnut half arabian gelding. The saddles we have do not fit them and i think it is due to their withers. But i cant seem to tell if they have Mutton or Hollow withers. Help here please?

rbarlo32 11-07-2012 06:54 PM

Their withers look fine to me.

Elana 11-07-2012 07:19 PM

Neither horse has mutton OR hollow withers. Withers look fine.

Endiku 11-07-2012 07:23 PM

Maybe they have abnormally narrow backs?

Cherie 11-07-2012 08:14 PM

I cannot tell on the first horse but the second horse looks like it has very wide shoulders that are very hard to fit.

Horses with shoulders like the second horse oftentimes have a saddle rest right behind their shoulders and literally 'dig' into them. This is not what I call a 'good saddle-back' and really can be difficult to fit. When I have had to ride one, I usually just put on a wide saddle (full Quarter Horse Bars) and used a really big, thick wool felt pad. That, of course , is with a stock saddle.

IndianHorseWhisperer 11-07-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1748820)
I cannot tell on the first horse but the second horse looks like it has very wide shoulders that are very hard to fit.

Horses with shoulders like the second horse oftentimes have a saddle rest right behind their shoulders and literally 'dig' into them. This is not what I call a 'good saddle-back' and really can be difficult to fit. When I have had to ride one, I usually just put on a wide saddle (full Quarter Horse Bars) and used a really big, thick wool felt pad. That, of course , is with a stock saddle.

I tried putting on saddles with full Quarter bars and no luck. Beau (2nd horse) is actually pretty narrow and LB (1st horse) has very wide withers. If neither has anything wrong with the withers then thats somethin i can check off. I saw some pics of some horses with Mutton Withers and looked identical to Beau and read that Hollow Withers are common on gaited horses so wasn't entirely sure for LB

smrobs 11-07-2012 09:52 PM

Well, the first thing is that if their withers are so completely different, then you'll likely need 2 saddles because a saddle that fits one well probably won't fit the other very well at all.

Beyond that, it's hard to really tell much just by those pictures. Can you get some that are closer and from several different angles showing their withers/back?

Saddlebag 11-07-2012 10:00 PM

With the second horse the bars need a flatter angle but you also need to find a saddle with a deep gullet, like many of the barrel racing saddles. Google horsesaddleshop and download their free template. Full instructions included. The templates are the three most common size trees. Print, cut out and transfer to cardboard and see if one of them will fit the horse. If one will, then the other half of the template will be for the saddle.

IndianHorseWhisperer 11-07-2012 10:04 PM

I was told that Circle Y and Dakota saddles generally fit Arabian crosses really well but i have cheap generic trail saddles that up until now fit my past equine clientele.

IndianHorseWhisperer 11-07-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1748981)
With the second horse the bars need a flatter angle but you also need to find a saddle with a deep gullet, like many of the barrel racing saddles. Google horsesaddleshop and download their free template. Full instructions included. The templates are the three most common size trees. Print, cut out and transfer to cardboard and see if one of them will fit the horse. If one will, then the other half of the template will be for the saddle.

Thanks i'll definetly look into that!