The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Waterproof blanket (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/waterproof-blanket-142822/)

Puddintat 11-07-2012 07:57 PM

Waterproof blanket

Hi. I'm trying to find a fairly cheap waterproof turnout blanket for Dancer. He does go out in the field with 2 other horses (including a punky mare) and there is only trees for shelter. He comes in at night. I really don't have a lot to spend but I don't want to get something that gets chewed up right away either.

I was wondering if this blanket is any good. According to the reviews its not but I don't always believe those.:

Tough-1 420 Denier Turnout Sheet - Horse.com

Thanks!

FBody355 11-07-2012 08:17 PM

Even though the price of the 420 denier is very temping, I opted for the 1200 denier sheet of the same brand. I've only put it on my mare a handful of times but so far so good.

Puddintat 11-07-2012 08:21 PM

thanks!

Jore 11-08-2012 07:33 AM

Yes, you definitely want something at least 1200D for turnout.. especially when they're turned out with other horses. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 11-08-2012 08:37 AM

Ditto on least 1200 denier.

This is a case where you do get what you pay for. It's the same as buying bed sheets with a low thread thickness (denier), the lower the number the less quality:-)

I don't blanket my horses unless the wind's blowing up a wind chill, it's raining or sleeting and there's no sun. I have various models of Weatherbeeta's, all 1200 denier. So far they're doing their job:-P

gypsygirl 11-08-2012 08:54 AM

you can get saxons pretty cheap at stateline tack right now, 1200D and lots of fill options.

JMims 11-08-2012 10:24 AM

I've got canvas for my guys {the youngster gets picked on regularly:(}, and they have held up well to other horses, and rolling!
Cheapest place I've found them:
Derby Originals Platinum Canvas Blanket with Wool Lining at TackWholesale.com

busysmurf 11-08-2012 11:17 AM

Subbing. My favorite heavy duty waether proof blanket has been discontinued:evil:

busysmurf 11-08-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMims (Post 1749417)
I've got canvas for my guys {the youngster gets picked on regularly:(}, and they have held up well to other horses, and rolling!
Cheapest place I've found them:
Derby Originals Platinum Canvas Blanket with Wool Lining at TackWholesale.com

THAT's EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!

THANK YOU:clap::clap::clap::clap:

AndersonEquestrian 11-08-2012 02:28 PM

I am personally a huge fan of Weaterbeetas. I have one that I have had for years that I have put on just about every horse. It has survived active stallions, PITA mares, and now is surviving a foal constantly tugging on mom's blanket. I just got my 5 mo cold a weatherbeeta and it is just as nice.

They run a little more than the other blankets but in my opinion are totally worth it.