The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Lucky's Story (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/luckys-story-142828/)

squigley 11-07-2012 07:56 PM

Lucky's Story

This is the story of how I came to have my horse lucky, and I really wanted to share it with you. I will post regular updates on his progress as well, also this is written from Luckys point of view!

Hello my name Is lucky I am a 13.3 chestnut Welsh pony X arab gelding. I love the freedom of racing around the fields with my new herd and I love when my owner comes and treats me with sugar lumps. I wasnt always this happy, I was born and raised by a local breeder and life was good until I had to leave my mother. I was bought by a group of travelling gypsy's who handled me roughly and fed me little. I spent most of the time tied up in a bare fied by a main road with only around 1 meter space, what little attention I did get usually ended with me getting beaten and kicked for 'misbehaving' when really I just didnt understand what was being asked of me. This was my day to day life for god knows how long until finally I became so underweight I could barely stand, my muscles ached and my wounds stung. Finally my owners got so fed up with me that I was sold to slaughter, the place every horse dreads. Thankfully I was bought for a mere 35 by a local man who I think, bought me because he pitied my awful state. After being moved to a new, quiet, comfortable stable I was slowly nursed back to strength by the man and a girl. I grew to trust my people and like being handled I grow more confident every day! That about brings us to now, lounging around the fields with my stablemates and having all I want to eat.
Life is good now!

Wahya 11-07-2012 08:03 PM

That is so amazing, I loved reading that. Except for the part where he was abused in a such way. I can't wait on his updates!

squigley 11-08-2012 12:38 PM

When lucky arrived he was in such a bad way! Vet said if he lived through the night it would be extremely lucky. For the first 2 weeks he refuse to move around much and was so terrified we would hurt him that he would lash out at the stable walls trying to get, injuring himself further. Hes far better now though. I can walk up to him fine, I can groom him, touch around his tail, down his legs and he lifts his feet when told but he doesnt hold them for long, we'll work on it. Currenty working on breaking him in again, through natural horsmanship because he was never broken in the way he should have been with his past owners- it was all abuse.

squigley 11-13-2012 04:20 AM

Update

2 Attachment(s)
Made the first step to re-breaking lucky in gentle! Luckys is accepting a saddle to be sat on his back, next step is to tighten girth and then let him bear some weight! He also gets lunged regularly :)
I'll keep u posted

squigley 11-13-2012 04:26 AM

Update

1 Attachment(s)
lucky happily grazing with some of my other horses (kate & delilah) - completely content and happy :D

squigley 11-13-2012 04:44 AM

JUST REALISED IN MY ORIGINAL POST THERE WAS A SPELLING ERROR!!
"I spent most of my time tied up in a bare fied" (field)
It should of been field :)

Wahya 11-14-2012 05:32 PM

Thats awesome! So glad he's doing well!

squigley 11-18-2012 10:08 AM

Just done some of the usual stuff today!! grooming, lunge work, join up and we're working on picking up those hooves :) Trying some new things too, desensitising lucky! Getting him used to umbrellas, sticks, noise, and putting strange things on his back like blankets and coats etc..