The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   how to train a two year old to pick up his feet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-train-two-year-old-pick-142837/)

horsecrazygirl13 11-07-2012 08:59 PM

how to train a two year old to pick up his feet

Hi my other friend has a red roan gelding that is really nervous with anything having to do with his legs and feet. before she bought him he had a very bad experience with hoof trimming. he was too wild so the farrier strapped him to a table and so trimmed his hooves. he got a few cuts on his legs and now he struggles like crazy when someone picks up his hooves. yesterday, i went over to her house and helped her to train him , he is very willing and intelligent, we stroked his legs and talked softly to him and he let me clean out three of his hooves(my friend was very pleased:D).
Am I doing the right thing?:-|

riccil0ve 11-07-2012 09:07 PM

Take it slow and be easy on him but don't put up with his crap either. I don't care what the first farrier did to him, he can't be a jerk. Spend time stroking his shoulder, then run your hand down to his knees and back up. Stroke his hip, down to his hock and back up. Then go lower to his fetlocks. When he isn't flinching at that, pick up a foot and put it down. Increase the "pressure" just past his comfort zone, and then release. And six 10 minute sessions will be better than one 60 minute session.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl13 11-07-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1748880)
Take it slow and be easy on him but don't put up with his crap either. I don't care what the first farrier did to him, he can't be a jerk. Spend time stroking his shoulder, then run your hand down to his knees and back up. Stroke his hip, down to his hock and back up. Then go lower to his fetlocks. When he isn't flinching at that, pick up a foot and put it down. Increase the "pressure" just past his comfort zone, and then release. And six 10 minute sessions will be better than one 60 minute session.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes we did that for about ten min. then we worked on his ground training.

riccil0ve 11-07-2012 09:10 PM

Then I think you're going about things the right way!
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl13 11-07-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1748886)
Then I think you're going about things the right way!
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks so much!:D