The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Low cost gelding in Fallon NV N0V 24 25 (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/low-cost-gelding-fallon-nv-n0v-142845/)

cmarie 11-07-2012 10:43 PM

Low cost gelding in Fallon NV N0V 24 25

I don't know if anyone in Northern Nevada is interested but this was in the paper today thought I would pass it on.

Attn: horse owners – low-cost gelding clinic to be held in Fallon | Mostly Dogs

Attn: horse owners – low-cost gelding clinic to be held in Fallon

3:02 pm, Nov 7, 2012 | Written by Mark Robison
http://blogs.rgj.com/mostlydogs/file...8.29-036R1.jpgFrom a press release:
A low cost gelding clinic will be held at Snow Livestock & Grain in Fallon, NV on Saturday, Nov 24th and Sunday Nov 25th. Private horse owners in need of this service are invited to participate in this event that is co-hosted by National Equine Resource Network (NERN) and R-VETS.
The cost to horse owners who bring their horses to the clinic will be only $75, compared to an average veterinary fee of approximately $150-300. The clinic will also take a limited number of cryptorchids and hernias, for an additional fee.
Dr. Eric Davis, DVM of R-VETS, is volunteering his services to NERN and the community, stressing the importance of reducing the future equine population in the face of the nation's ongoing economic woes.
In 2011, NERN ran a pilot program for low-cost clinics in California, gelding a total of 92 horses, in eight separate locations around the state. This year, they have already held a total of 16 clinics, and castrated an additional 204 stallions.
Shirley Puga, NERN’s Executive Director, said her organization's goal for 2012 was to provide low cost castration for 250 or more colts/stallions in a series of gelding clinics. "At a time when many horse owners are struggling just to feed their animals, we felt that providing financial assistance in this area would be one of the most important contributions we could make, not only for existing horses, but for the future" she said.
NERN-sponsored gelding clinics have been held throughout California, and a two day clinic was recently held in Washington State. Soon Nevada will be added to the list. At the request of horse rescues, vets and/or horse owners that have learned of this service, other western states such as OR, AZ, and TX are under consideration.
To participate in the Fallon gelding clinic, area horse owners can contact NERN at nationalequine@gmail.com or (760) 419-2462. For more information on the gelding program, or to donate, please go to www.nationalequine.org
Caption: A clinic patient with Cindy McClinn,vet tech, preparing for surgery. Photo provided by Shirley Puga.

Spotted 11-07-2012 10:49 PM

I think thats great news for anyone in that area!their needs to be more all over the world. The last gelding that was done here cost $750.00. blew me away! (there was complications...), but still normally costs $300.00 and I think thats still pricey.

cmarie 11-07-2012 10:56 PM

You can barely get a dog done for $300 here so $75 for a horse is one heck of a deal.

BarrelracingArabian 11-08-2012 01:59 AM

There is also one in Ontario,CA 9586 chino ave. soon on December 2 nd. 75 normal 150 cryptorchid. 760-419-2462. Stallions must be halter broke and healthy. If i wasn't on my phone i would post the flyer.
Posted via Mobile Device

EvilHorseOfDoom 11-08-2012 04:51 AM

I was so confused at first, I thought it was a clinic for low-cost (i.e. cheap) geldings. I was trying to work out the point of that - perhaps so owners participating didn't feel overwhelmed by other peoples' expensive horses? :lol: Then I read on...

Great idea, should be more of this stuff happening! Kudos to all those involved.