The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   english to western training (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/english-western-training-14285/)

jazzyrider 09-03-2008 10:21 AM

english to western training

so judging by the thousands of other posts ive made im guessing everyone knows that im switching jarred from english to western. lots of reasons bring me to this decision but i wont bore you with those. but i have a bunch of q's to ask:

- so far i know i need a saddle, bridle, blanket and breatplate (i need one with a dressage saddle of late with jarred so i figure i will need one with a western saddle to. is there anything else i should get straight up that i may need?
- where do i start with training? until i find a trainer im on my own. he has basic english knowledge; he leg yields, accepts the bit and is very light. but i dont know what area of western i want to do yet mostly because i dont know whats what lol

basically i guess i need to get an idea of where to start and if y'all can give me some tips on where to start

thanks in advance

Dumas'_Grrrl 09-03-2008 10:32 AM

Ya know, I went to our local county fair yesterday to enter a pencil sketch that I did and ended up staying for a hour or so watching the reining competition.....it was very very interesting and a lovely surprize as I didn't know it was going on. Now remember that we are a small county and there were only 3 adults and 5 kids entered and no one did those fancy spins and sliding stops but it was very interesting none the less to watch these folks handle their horse and complete the pattern. They all looked like they were having fun! I had never concidered reining becasue of the super fast spins and looong sliding stops but its something that has recently perked my interest. It was all about the folks handleing their horses and you can teach Jarred how to neck rein (if he doesn't all ready) and to follow a flatwork pattern. Lead changes & turnbacks are you wanting to compete?

Sorry if I'm rambeling about reining...It looked like fun and somthing that myself and kids would enjoy doing without having to be top in the world :lol:

jazzyrider 09-03-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
Ya know, I went to our local county fair yesterday to enter a pencil sketch that I did and ended up staying for a hour or so watching the reining competition.....it was very very interesting and a lovely surprize as I didn't know it was going on. Now remember that we are a small county and there were only 3 adults and 5 kids entered and no one did those fancy spins and sliding stops but it was very interesting none the less to watch these folks handle their horse and complete the pattern. They all looked like they were having fun! I had never concidered reining becasue of the super fast spins and looong sliding stops but its something that has recently perked my interest. It was all about the folks handleing their horses and you can teach Jarred how to neck rein (if he doesn't all ready) and to follow a flatwork pattern. Lead changes & turnbacks are you wanting to compete?

Sorry if I'm rambeling about reining...It looked like fun and somthing that myself and kids would enjoy doing without having to be top in the world :lol:

due to my 'roots' i sometimes accidentally go to neck rein. he kinda responds but then isnt really sure if hes doing it right lol especially when hes been taught that left rein pull/pressure means turn left :)

and yeeeeeeeeeeees, im wanting to compete :) i want to do reining, and slide stops and spins and anything else there is to do :) its like ive had an epiphany of late. for the last ten years ive ignored how i was taught to ride and fancied it all up with dressage and SJ but its not really me. me and horses is...adrenalin, freedom, excitement...i know its more than that but i remember riding when i was young and the excitement and adrenalin i got from riding far surpassed anything i can do english. the trainers i have been searching through are all reiners. i think thats where my passion is standing at the moment. wow! all of a sudden ive regained the passion of a 16 year old lol i cant wait to saddle my sexy jarred up in all his western glory...ill show all those quarter horse people what a wb can do LOL just kidding. im keeping a positive attitude here ;)

*pictures jarred in all his western glory* he will be such a shame to his family. all eventing champions and the rebellious jarred takes the high road with western riding. i can see it in the equine news now: '8 year old trakehner stuns the western world with perfect sliding stop' hehehehehe

Dumas'_Grrrl 09-03-2008 11:03 AM

You go Girl!!!!!!! 8) If you wanna rein then do it!! I'll watch you slide from here to the moon!!!! :wink: I'm SO happy to hear that a fire has been lit under you and you are following your passions!!!

ENJOY!!!!!!!

jazzyrider 09-03-2008 11:21 AM

ill look for you in the crowd when i do my first public slide stop lol oh wait! hang on! youre in a totally different country...hmmm...i know, if you cheer really really loud for me i might be able to hear you ;) or, send me a cardboard cut out of you and hubby can sit it next to him in the stands ;)

thanks for the support...im gunna need it heading into the western world on a warmblood lol

.Delete. 10-02-2008 09:35 AM

Half haults. Practice walking extremely slow. Walking into the jog. Rollbacks, running straight at walls then stopping. Pivits on the backend. Basic things.

FGRanch 10-09-2008 04:57 PM

I did read that you want to do reining, right?

These are the BIG things that you have to start to work on.

-Turn on the haunches
-Turn on the forhand
-Loping lots of circles
-Lots of stopping (with the head down lower)
-Lead Changes

Goodness I can't think now, I'll post more later. :D Sorry very tired, I just drove for the last 5 hours.