The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   This is more about his gait but also confirmation... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/more-about-his-gait-but-also-142850/)

OnTarget324 11-07-2012 10:57 PM

This is more about his gait but also confirmation...

I have a 3 year Saddlebred gelding that I broke January 17. He's really smart and has come a long way blah blah blah. I think he has fairly good confirmation, but at the canter, he crosses his back legs. Like on the left lead, he steps his left back leg in front of his back right leg? I've been riding a little over 6 years, do a lot of horses do this? Have I not realized this with other horses? He's getting slightly weighted shoes after winter because he has a tripping problem, are his back legs affecting it at all? Help please...

tinyliny 11-07-2012 11:03 PM

I am having trouble visualizing that. But, do you know the footfall order for canter? For a left lead , it's right rear (ONE), left rear and right front at exactly the same time (TWO ) and left front (THREE), and a brief moment of suspension, the the same order all over again.

So, your horse is putting down his right rear first, then lifting it off the ground just as the left rear comes forward and to the ground. So, are you saying that he puts it in front of where the right rear USED to be ? I think that would be pretty normal, unless you mean he really reaches way over the midsection to the opposite side.

Videos tell the story in half the time of words.

OnTarget324 11-07-2012 11:09 PM

Videos tell the story in half the time of words.

Okay so I explained that in a really confusing way and I can only imagine it because I see. Sorry :oops:
I'll put a link to a video I have on youtube. It's edited so you might only kind of be able to see what I'm talking about

Elana 11-08-2012 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The sequence of steps for a horse on the left lead are as follows:

right hind, left hind and right front together, left front (lead leg).

Take a look at Edweard Muybridge. Horse cantering (this is Daisy Cantering). She is on her left lead (hard to tell due to the resolution but I have the original volumes.. worth a bit of green.. ).

Your horse looks to canter just fine

Elana 11-08-2012 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a better set of images of "Clinton Cantering." He is also on the left lead.

TexasBlaze 11-08-2012 11:15 AM

his gaits look just fine.

churumbeque 11-08-2012 12:45 PM

I didn't see any thing out of the ordinary but I think you are asking alot of a 3 year old.

toosexy4myspotz 11-09-2012 05:47 PM

also he is a saddlebred make sure he is giving you a canter not a half canter. my ssh can break over in the front or hind into a canter but hold the other at a gait. meaning if she is on a left lead canter she can throw her front end into a gait but hold her left catering lead in her hind end and she can hold her left lead in the front and switch over her hind end into her gait.
Posted via Mobile Device

FeatheredFeet 11-09-2012 06:00 PM

I didn't see a conformation shot of him. And it's confOrmation, not confirmation.

Saddlebreds are often narrow and move rather closely. Is that what you are seeing? I couldn't tell much from the movie. Have you some good conformation shots of him? Profile and back and front, would help us have an idea about him.

Loved my Saddlebred 'heart-horse'. I shall miss him for ever.

Lizzie

Weezilla 11-09-2012 10:42 PM

Isn't ANYONE gonna comment on the buck-nekkid dude cantering Clinton????:shock:

Eeeeeew:-o