The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Just a quick question! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/just-quick-question-142894/)

DrumRunner 11-08-2012 01:00 PM

Just a quick question!

Hi all,

Nikki's picked up a small problem..mostly my fault for not being able to keep her tuned because of this summer's "events".. Anyway, she's a pretty ratey horse, especially to the first barrel. I've noticed that she's started to slow down in her turns and she's started to pogo around them, we're losing quite a bit of time in our turns now. I'm currently working on it with her, lots of flexing, bending, follow through work.. the whole deal.. I just wanted any extra feedback, from different eyes of course, maybe I'm missing something? We went to a show October 27th and we did pretty good, I was very impressed for being out for 7 months and she's still fat but better than I expected. She placed me in everything I think we ended up with a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds, and a 4th..I'm just not happy with her turns.. Of course I'm the usual video person and my sister SUCKS at it.. She did get my arena race, boyfriend got my texas on his phone, and Holly missed one of my best cloverleaf runs ever..Nikki tried to go wide on the third like she always does but we're getting a lot better with it.. As usual with horses, once you solve one problem another pops up to work on!

Anyway, I'm posting a video.. Boyfriend's video isn't on Youtube yet or I'd post it..

BarrelRacer23 11-08-2012 01:12 PM

How old is she? If she's not feeling normal turning, I'd get a chiropractor out to see her. Amazing how just a few things off can change everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

DrumRunner 11-08-2012 01:16 PM

She's 12. You're definitely right though, just one or two little things can throw your whole game off. I'm looking into getting a chiro out but no luck yet. My vet can adjust but I haven't had time to haul Nikki the hour out to see her. It sucks being away during the week, only home on the weekends, and my vet is closed on weekends, I could probably get her to see me but it's an extra $75.. Remind me why I chose to have horses as a hobby? Because I'm an hour away vet won't come to me, but she's the best around.. Chiro is the same way.

BarrelRacer23 11-08-2012 01:24 PM

Because we love them? Lol. Sometimes I wonder what'd I'd spend my money on if I didn't have horses, definitely have more. I'd start with the chiro though, I've had horses get off then have the chiro work on them something be out and after that their fine. Also if that doesn't help at her age if wouldn't hurt to ask about her hocks needing injected. It's maintenance that pretty much any sport horse will need with use. My step dads old gelding kinda hoped around the barrels until he was injected, he's 11.
Posted via Mobile Device

DrumRunner 11-08-2012 01:38 PM

I've talked to Dr. Baker about the injections and she said because I'm not showing her very hard right now it'd be a waste of money. The way this year has gone we've only been to like 4 barrel races.. It hurts my heart! We're out for the seaon right now and at most I may hit jackpots and NBHA shows before spring.. Other than a visit from the chiro soon, hopefully, she's in great health. Supplements, good feed, vet regularly, ferriar. So we'll see what the chiro does.. fingers crossed it can happen soon!

SorrelHorse 11-08-2012 03:00 PM

I'd find a chiro that does some acupuncture and laser stuff too...We have one around here and Selena practically falls asleep when he gets the needles out, and she knows the routine so well she just puts her nose on the ground like she's drugged and leans into him like "I'm ready!" It's worked wonders for her too. She's so much more in the ground now too.

Maybe do a ton of rollbacks and backing up and stuff? Also reiterating the "pushing the hip back under them".

DrumRunner 11-08-2012 03:18 PM

I'm looking for a chiro now, it's looking like I'm going to have to haul her two hours.. Not fun.

beau159 11-09-2012 10:58 AM

hmmmm, Nikki does look like she slowed WAY down around the barrel on that run.

Agree with the others on the chiro check.

I couldn't tell in the video, as it was small, but have you subconsciously changed anything in the way you ride around the barrel? Something to think about anyway.

DrumRunner 11-09-2012 11:50 AM

I don't think that I've changed anything. I'm know her like the back of my hand and something just seemed odd around the barrel, she really slowed down, which is usually not the case, she's ratey but not to the point of taking the turn really slow. I've watched it over and over again, can't really see anything riding wise out of place so I'm leaning more and more towards her being off and still out of shape.. So, chiro then taking her off of the pattern and doing some refresher work with turning drills.

I'm not going to work on anything too much with her until I get a chiro out to adjust her. Might even let her/him adjust Hickory as I'm looking at selling Lark after our fun incident at the show.. Who knows? Maybe even start hauling the old guy again for laughs.

Annanoel 11-09-2012 04:21 PM

Wow, she did really slow down. I think the chiro would be a big help as well as turning drills and working on roll backs and drills like sorrel said. Maybe she's just having an "off" period or kind of given up on it in her mind. My old barrel horse Cheez-it did that, lol. Went through a few months where he was just off, had the vet out, chiro out, accupuncture and nothing seemed to help. Then we went to a show one day and pulled 1st and he was fine! What happened with Lark, did I miss something?

Not that it would help but really made them work and refresh their mind, my cousin actually walked her horse backwards around the pattern. Really makes them think, and it's just something different too! Whip that out at a show. ;) Haha.