The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Scared Of New Saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/scared-new-saddle-142898/)

ShiningStar 11-08-2012 12:57 PM

Scared Of New Saddle?

Bella is a both western and english horse, but we have been riding western for years and I think she prefers western, but recently I thought I'd start riding her english again. But she started to panick when I tried to put it on her, I tried to kinda desensitize her but she was freaking out and I could not get the saddle near her. I'm puzzled, she is fine with western saddles but freaks out at english?? Please don't critisize, i have never come across this and I am wondering why she is doing this.
Thanx:D

cowgirl4753 11-08-2012 01:19 PM

Id check saddle fit. If she is good with the western saddle, which are usually heavier and chunkier then english saddles, makes me wonder if the english saddle is pinching or something and that's why she reacts the way she does.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 11-08-2012 01:23 PM

Rick did that when I got a black saddle, thought he was going to pull the trailer!

Try throwing it on the fence for a few hours first. She'll get over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 11-08-2012 01:25 PM

Ok that sounded weird!
Set it on her fence as she's grazing for a while and she will get used to it. Ha ha!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ShiningStar 11-08-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyGap (Post 1749723)
Ok that sounded weird!
Set it on her fence as she's grazing for a while and she will get used to it. Ha ha!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank-you very much guys!:D
And I know it should fit perfectly because it has an adjustable gullet system.

poppy1356 11-08-2012 01:41 PM

Gullet is only one aspect of many when it comes to saddle fit. Having an adjustable gullet does not mean one size fits all.

ShiningStar 11-08-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1749759)
Gullet is only one aspect of many when it comes to saddle fit. Having an adjustable gullet does not mean one size fits all.

Oh! Im sorry then! The person I got it from said that I could use this on any horse because the of the gullet system.

poppy1356 11-08-2012 01:54 PM

That is a myth that seems to be passed around. What brand is it? And what is your horses back like? High wither? Flat? Broad? Sway?

ShiningStar 11-08-2012 02:49 PM

Umm I think her back is just average, with average sized withers. And the saddle is a thorowgood saddle.

poppy1356 11-08-2012 02:55 PM

That's not a lot of info but at looking at their website it seems they make different types of saddles for different types of backs. Meaning that you need to have the appropriate tree, panel, and gullet design for your horses back.

There's a good chance your saddle doesn't fit and that's why your horse doesn't like it.

English saddles need to fit much better than western as they have less area to disperse the weight.