The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Another lungeing problem:( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/another-lungeing-problem-142903/)

horsecrazygirl13 11-08-2012 02:54 PM

Another lungeing problem:(

hi so my friends gelding who is being trained to lunge has come up with another problem we have to solve. when you ask him to trot when lungeing he turns toward you to avoid having his hindquarters thwacked.
what should i do? i tried to ask him to turn around but he is as stubborn as a mule!:-x dont get me wrong i have trained a few horses before but I have never worked with an overly stubborn horse.:?

Spotted 11-08-2012 03:01 PM

I wonder if your giving the wrong signals??? Are you able to longe without the lead line? In a round pen.

Wahya 11-08-2012 03:03 PM

When you are lunging him, are you pulling on the lead line? and another thing if that is the case when he does that, have you tried free lunging him in a round pen and then if that works, just try the lunge line again.

horsecrazygirl13 11-08-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahya (Post 1749801)
When you are lunging him, are you pulling on the lead line? and another thing if that is the case when he does that, have you tried free lunging him in a round pen and then if that works, just try the lunge line again.

no i wasnt pulling at the line. what do you use to lunge a horse in a roundpen? A lunge whip? I dont have a lariat, I know some people use that.

xxdanioo 11-08-2012 04:13 PM

Are you stepping ahead of him accidently? That will cause them to turn in sometimes. You need to keep at the girth, or their "drive line" to continue to push them forward. keep asking for a trot and push him back out. Bring your energy up and move his feet!

tinyliny 11-08-2012 04:21 PM

It is almost certainly your body language has the horse confused. I know I said this on your other thread, but lunging, either on a line or in a round pen, is not as easy as you would think. You need someone to show you how to do it. Seriously. It's worth taking a lesson just in lunging, if you can. Or at least see if some older, more experienced person will help.

I know you want to just go out there and do it on your own, and you can. But you may turn it into a really frustrating experience for both you and the gelding. I doubt he is enjoying being whacked on the butt.

Wahya 11-08-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13 (Post 1749814)
no i wasnt pulling at the line. what do you use to lunge a horse in a roundpen? A lunge whip? I dont have a lariat, I know some people use that.

I just use a lead and swing it in circles to keep him out of my bubble.

filly05 11-12-2012 10:19 PM

You don't want to overuse the whip either. Continually swinging it or cracking it, even if its not touching him, will desensitize him to the whip...not good. If you're in a roundpen, you don't need a lungeline. Just a whip. If you step towards their head, it tells them to stop. Keep the whip held out towards his hind end encouraging him to move forward. It sounds like he's not respecting you and testing you. So you may need to give him a little crack on the butt to get him moving. Not too hard, just want to clarify I'm not advising you to beat him. But if you have started to desensitize him to the whip, you've made your job more difficult. You don't want him to be afraid of it but he needs to respect it and when you use it, he knows that you mean business. I've seen a young girl at a barn continually snap the whip even though he was doing what she asked. One of the biggest rules in training, when the horse does what you ask, stop asking! I saw that poor horse at a show this year and I was devasted. New owner, skinny, looked like he'd rather be dead. He was such a sweet horse and that first girl ruined him and then he ended up in a home not much better than the first. :(

themacpack 11-12-2012 10:23 PM

IIRC you stated in another thread that you/your friend are only just now learning to lunge a horse - and that the horse is also learning. You really can't teach what you don't know - I would suggest enlisting the assistance of an instructor that can teach one or the other (or, better still, both) of you the mechanics of all with a horse who already understands the process.

horsecrazygirl13 11-12-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1749926)
It is almost certainly your body language has the horse confused. I know I said this on your other thread, but lunging, either on a line or in a round pen, is not as easy as you would think. You need someone to show you how to do it. Seriously. It's worth taking a lesson just in lunging, if you can. Or at least see if some older, more experienced person will help.

I know you want to just go out there and do it on your own, and you can. But you may turn it into a really frustrating experience for both you and the gelding. I doubt he is enjoying being whacked on the butt.

Yeah it works on some horses but not on all i suppose. He's got a more experienced horse trainer coming over to train him. but my other friend's horse is doing great(i have been helping my friend train him).