The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with "Stall Safe" disinfectant (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/anyone-have-experience-stall-safe-disinfectant-142905/)

egrogan 11-08-2012 01:59 PM

Anyone have experience with "Stall Safe" disinfectant

I am deworming early next week, and have had lingering problems with pinworms this fall. In addition to deworming, I want to give my mares stall a thorough disinfectant cleaning. I've been told to avoid bleach, etc. and vet recommended a commercial stall cleaning disinfectant.

The most common one I'm finding is called "Stall Safe"- I've never used it, and can't tell from the online description if it's something that needs to be applied and then rinsed off. I'm guessing that since it's a spray, the answer is probably no, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any experience with it?

Here's the basic info that most online retailers offer: Stall Safe Spray - Disinfecting/Cleaning from SmartPak Equine

Elana 11-08-2012 02:31 PM

Looks like you spray it on "non porous" surfaces.

Probably need to wash those surfaces first with soap and water if they are soiled.

egrogan 11-08-2012 02:36 PM

Good call, Elana- I didn't even see that note. But, I thought the idea of a spray sounded too good to be true! I'll keep looking for something appropriate. I'm open to suggestions from anyone with a favorite product.

Elana 11-08-2012 03:45 PM

If you have wood stalls (I did) I used soap and water and scrubbed them. Then I used bleach. Penn-o-pine (phenols) are better but they are highly toxic to kitty kats (can absorb the phenol thru their paws and the death they suffer is horrible). I never used Penn-o-pine as a result.

Chlorox works but it is useless in the face of organic matter so things have to be clean first.. hence the need to use soap and water.. and a brush. I used a stiff brush on a long handle.

~*~anebel~*~ 11-08-2012 05:00 PM

Serious? Go to a pet store or pharmacy and pick up some Virkon. Way cheaper and far more effective. It's the same stuff that international shows, like the Olympics and WEG, use to disinfect their stalls.
As long as the walls are not super soiled, you'll be fine spraying the Virkon (in solution) and wiping after a few minutes as indicated in the instructions.
Posted via Mobile Device

CCH 11-08-2012 05:49 PM

Good suggestions already. I'd like them, but mobile doesn't allow it. I would add Tek-Trol to the list of cleansers and chlorhexidine as a rinse.
Posted via Mobile Device

egrogan 11-09-2012 09:42 AM

Perfect- thanks for the advice.

MHFoundation Quarters 11-09-2012 09:54 AM

I have used Virkon in the past as Anebel suggested. This last time I did the entire barn I used a hospital grade disinfectant (can't remember the name but could find out - it is also used in vet hospitals and kills everything including parvo) my Dr. is my only boarder and I got the hook up and it was less expensive. I diluted it as instructed and put it in the sprayer on the back of my 4-wheeler and made quick work of it.