The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Treatments for Laminitis-Undiagnosed Cause (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/treatments-laminitis-undiagnosed-cause-142906/)

Panto 11-08-2012 02:09 PM

Treatments for Laminitis-Undiagnosed Cause

I just posted a thread about how my new gelding has laminitis, currently he is having an acute flare-up. This is what the vet told me to do for the next week:

1. Feed only hay, no grain
2. Stall rest in heavily bedded stall
3. Bute 2x daily

Are there other things I should be doing?

deserthorsewoman 11-08-2012 02:13 PM

That was quick:-)
Pics, please!

BlueSpark 11-08-2012 02:19 PM

Pics ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Panto 11-08-2012 02:32 PM

I will take pics tonight and post. Thanks!

princessfluffybritches 11-08-2012 05:53 PM

CALL a vet and a farrier. You need xrays to see how bad, and a farrier to try to prevent any more damage and stablize the hooves.

ChemE 11-08-2012 10:36 PM

Another poster asked in the other thread about type of hay he is being fed. Have read that alfalfa should be soaked to remove excess sugars. Another good bedding material for laminitic horses is rice hulls. Can get that from the feed store. Sorry you and your new horse is going through this. Hope he gets better quickly.

SueNH 11-09-2012 07:54 AM

Katy Watts | Articles about Laminitis and sugar in grass

Good articles.

deserthorsewoman 11-09-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemE (Post 1750530)
Another poster asked in the other thread about type of hay he is being fed. Have read that alfalfa should be soaked to remove excess sugars. Another good bedding material for laminitic horses is rice hulls. Can get that from the feed store. Sorry you and your new horse is going through this. Hope he gets better quickly.

Actually, alfalfa is the lowest sugar hay there is, so as of sugar content it's the safest. But when the horse is overweight its problematic, because of its higher energy content.

SueNH 11-09-2012 10:03 AM

Treatment of Laminitis

sums it up quickly and links to the emergency diet

Panto 11-29-2012 02:36 PM

New information

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to give an update and get your opinions on my QH gelding Spirit. The vet came back out last week and he is doing better but not much better. Still very very reluctant to walk on hard surfaces and looks much better on soft ground. She thoroughly looked at his hooves and decided that he has very thin and flat soles and an infection in his soles thats starting to invade the white line. Okay. She took xrays. Now she's not certain what his diagnosis is. 1-2 degrees rotation on RF and none on LF. I am in the process of getting another opinion. It has been extremely difficult to find a good vet and farrier, I still haven't. One thing I've learned is that everyone has an opinion in the horse world and its almost impossible to know who's is right! My next step is to get another vet out and hopefully find an expert farrier in laminitis and thin soled horses. Bad news is he is not getting any better and we're still buting him and not giving him any grain. :( I attached xrays of his front hooves for reference. I also have pictures on my camera I need to upload later. Thanks so much for your help!