The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Weird saddle seat? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/weird-saddle-seat-142953/)

LeighLovesLongears 11-08-2012 09:32 PM

Weird saddle seat?

Okay, so I was looking at saddles for sale (I love saddle shopping!!) and found a good looking parade saddle. It's dark brown and has some silver on it but the seat is, well, weird. Here's a picture:
http://images.craigslist.org/3n73Fc3...2f2d141126.jpg
Has anyone else seen a saddle with a seat like this? Do you think it would be comfortable or uncomfortable? I am only looking for a saddle for riding around the pasture, moving our herd of cattle (just checking on them), and barrel racing for fun and possibly our local Christmas parade and 4th of July parade.

smrobs 11-08-2012 09:49 PM

Whew, I've seen some saddles with built up seats, but that's ridiculous! Unless you like the feeling of being trapped in the saddle with no ability to move your seat around at all, I'd keep looking.

Also, it looks like it would be awful easy for that saddle to, pardon my language, pop you right in the hoo-ha if the horse made any sort of sudden movement.:oops::lol:

Since you are looking for something you can do some fun barrel racing in, I would run the other direction.

What price range are you planning on? What is your maximum budget?

That is, if you don't mind me asking.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-08-2012 09:52 PM

That saddle gives a whole new meaning to 'deep seat'. If you like riding an Aussie saddle, with the polleys that hold you in, you might like it, otherwise, I'd think you'd feel pretty trapped.

LeighLovesLongears 11-08-2012 10:55 PM

I had the same thought of feeling trapped! But I wouldnt be doing any sort of speed events for awhile. I don't actually have a budget for a saddle even though I know I should. It's kind of hard for me to stay on budget for anything! This saddle might be good for someone else but I don't want to feel trapped especially if the horse decides to act up! I'll pass on this one.

MangoRoX87 11-09-2012 01:55 PM

I can bet that no matter how hard you try, you will have an awful chair seat in that saddle. :P
Posted via Mobile Device

LeighLovesLongears 11-09-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1751116)
I can bet that no matter how hard you try, you will have an awful chair seat in that saddle. :P
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed!
I think it looks like you would feel like you are sitting in a bean bag chair. Uncomfortable to sit in and hard to get out of!:lol:

DoubleS 11-11-2012 05:35 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're called "equitation saddles"... I've ridden in one. It's not as bad as you'd think, but it's definitely not my choice saddle.. It's a pretty saddle besides the weird seat!