The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Show names-do you have to have one? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/show-names-do-you-have-have-142991/)

PasoFinoPower 11-09-2012 09:47 AM

Show names-do you have to have one?

Okay, just curious.
I might be ready for a w/t equitation on the flat soon. Maybe in six months. Trust me, that's a short time. I only get lessons twice a month. Anyway,
I was wondering if you HAD to have a show name. I don't think it would be THAT big of a show, but I was wondering if for every show your horse has to have a show name. Just wondering! Thanks.

Saddlebag 11-09-2012 09:58 AM

Registered horses show under the registered name. Almost all horses have a barn name and people with grade horses often elect to have a show name.

Acco 11-09-2012 04:03 PM

What type of show will you be going in? If it's a schooling show or unrated show, then it doesn't really matter what you call your horse. If his name is Bob, you can show him as Bob. Or you can make up a show name.

If it's a breed show, your horse will use his registered name.

If the show requires you to join a club or association in order to compete, then they'll make you pick a name for your horse (it could still be "Bob" if you wanted to and if no one else has claimed that name already) and then your horse will have to use that name for all of their shows.

I'm guessing the show you'll be doing is pretty casual so you can call your horse whatever you want!

I compete in my state's hunter/jumper association. Both members and non members can participate, and this year I was not a member, so I had fun with it and called my horse something different at each show ;) Next year, though, I'll pay the membership fee and compete for points since I feel my horse is ready for it now, so I've come up with the name I want to use and he'll have to go by that name all of next year (he has a registered name too, but since we are not competing at AQHA breed shows, I don't have to use it, which is good because his registered name is ugly!)

PasoFinoPower 11-09-2012 10:13 PM

Thanks for the info! May i ask what ur horse's registered name is?

Reno Bay 11-09-2012 10:29 PM

My boy's registered name is Reno.

At first I thought it was kind of boring compared to flashy show names. But really, when you think about it it's so simple and memorable.

heymckate 11-09-2012 11:57 PM

My horse shows under his registered Jockey Club name. It's just easier for me than picking a show name. Plus using that name is good for OTTB awareness--it's a good juxtaposition to have a racing photo of him (with that name listed) next to a photo of him jumping in a show.