The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Free to eat muzzle.. [cribbing] (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/free-eat-muzzle-%5Bcribbing%5D-142994/)

Jore 11-09-2012 09:43 AM

Free to eat muzzle.. [cribbing]

Muzzle - Free To Eat | HOR5016 | Greenhawk

Planning on ordering this for Indie today. My instructor recommended it as she has a friend who was very happy with it, and since Indie's cribbing is going to end up with her having little to no teeth. :? She's started just standing at the hay feeder and cribbing, on the metal. Her miracle collar isn't helping at all.

This muzzle still allows them to eat and drink, and since Indie doesn't seem to eat a lot when she's out in the pasture.. I think this might be the best route for her. She'll probably be switched to her miracle collar while in a stall, simply because she isn't quite as keen on cribbing in there and if her hay is put in the corner away from the stall door.. she doesn't bother with it.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

AnalisaParalyzer 11-09-2012 11:11 AM

we tried this on a TB at my barn, and he just hooked the metal from the bottom of the muzzle to the corner of the wood and went on with his cribbing. it did NOTHING for him. however, if your horse doesn't figure out how to get around it, or isn't too deep into the habit, it may be perfect. Cribbers are suuch a pain -_-

Jore 11-09-2012 12:30 PM

I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that she doesn't figure it out, as this seems like our most viable option right now. She's not too persistent with it really, I can tap her nose and she'll quit it for awhile so hopefully once she fails a few times.. she won't bother anymore. (although I'm sure she'll continue to try every so often)

We've been trying to get weight on her, and she basically just cribs it off. We've added beet pulp to her morning meal so now we're hoping this helps as well.

crimsonsky 11-09-2012 01:00 PM

i've tried the miracle collar with horrible results. i hate those things. my vet and i both agreed to just leave off with collars and doo-dads as there was no way of stopping my TB from cribbing. we just make sure to have his teeth checked every 6 months and go from there.

i am however tempted to try this collar for giggles seeing as i'm moving to a new barn and they are concerned (even though it's been proven otherwise) that the horses in the barn with him will learn to crib from seeing him do it: The Dare Cribbing Control Collar Schutz Brothers (Stable Equipment Supplies - Cribbing)

xeventer17 11-09-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonsky (Post 1751124)
i've tried the miracle collar with horrible results. i hate those things. my vet and i both agreed to just leave off with collars and doo-dads as there was no way of stopping my TB from cribbing. we just make sure to have his teeth checked every 6 months and go from there.

i am however tempted to try this collar for giggles seeing as i'm moving to a new barn and they are concerned (even though it's been proven otherwise) that the horses in the barn with him will learn to crib from seeing him do it: The Dare Cribbing Control Collar Schutz Brothers (Stable Equipment Supplies - Cribbing)

We just recently started using that on a horse at my barn and it works great. I haven't seen him crib once with it on yet. However, the miracle collar also worked fairly well for him (though he would still crib a bit), so I'm not sure how your thoroughbred would do with it.

equiniphile 11-09-2012 01:16 PM

My colt is a wood-chewer (not a cribber) so the BO puts one of those on him when he's turnsd out so he doesnt destroy the fence. My cribber has a Miracle Collar that stops the cribbing, but even with the fleece it's itchy, so I leave it off the majority of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jore 11-09-2012 01:37 PM

I had bought the Dare collar as well, but I can't see it being effective.
Posted via Mobile Device

crimsonsky 11-09-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jore (Post 1751153)
I had bought the Dare collar as well, but I can't see it being effective.
Posted via Mobile Device

i'm confused - did you buy it or no? was it effective or no? :?

deserthorsewoman 11-09-2012 03:38 PM

I wouldn't. Instead I would think about why she is cribbing more outside than inside. Something out there she doesn't like? She's cribbing at the hayfeeder....does she get a chance to eat on it? Have you watched her from a distance?
IMO, you stop her from cribbing outside she'll do it more inside.

Btw, if I remember right, you asked about an easier way to cool her legs....check out the site you posted, under general stable supplies...."legsoaker"....works!

Jore 11-09-2012 05:15 PM

I think it's mainly because she likes to crib while she eats.. however, in her stall, she doesn't have to worry about the other mares. Outside, she's usually lucky to be permitted near the hay. She really is at the bottom of the totem pole, so she's often told off. When she's inside her stall, we usually put it to the farthest corner so that it wouldn't be as convenient for her to walk over to her stall gate and crib.

However, with the hay feeder.. it's right there for her to crib on, whether she's eating the hay or not. Apparently all she does is crib all day on it, and never really ventures off.