The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   foal & mini color questons (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/foal-mini-color-questons-143050/)

littrella 11-09-2012 10:01 PM

foal & mini color questons

I have never breed horses & dont ever intend to, but I am courious about the huge color changes that foal & mini's have. With foals, I've seen ones that to me looked pali at birth & when they hit their first shed looked brown. With minis, I've seen one that I though was a very pretty silver with a black mane & tail only to have the owner tell me she was a bay under all the hair. How the heck does this happen? I use to raise labs & when a puppy was born black, it stayed black. It didn't change to a chocolate. How the heck are they pulling off this massive color change????

Chiilaa 11-09-2012 10:06 PM

I bet the mini was clipped :-P

Essentially, foals are born a "camouflague" colour. They are generally lighter along the lower parts of their body, and darker on the top. Then their first foal shed is usually the darkest, and they will generally lighten up to their adult colour over successive sheds.

littrella 11-09-2012 10:13 PM

The mini was being preped for clipping when I was there. But how can the hair color be so radicaly different from the body color?

Chiilaa 11-09-2012 10:15 PM

I am not sure what you are asking?

littrella 11-09-2012 10:30 PM

The mini I'm refering to looked like a silver/grey with a black mane & tale. Once it was cliped, it was a bay. how can the body color be bay, but the hair (pre clip) look silver. I would have never known that it was a bay horse. My friends that raise mini's love to stump me with pre & post clip pics. There are many times I can't tell it was the same horse because the color changes so much