The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Is my horse ready for the cart? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/my-horse-ready-cart-143066/)

ounominece 11-10-2012 01:23 AM

Is my horse ready for the cart?

hi guys, I have a high strung 2 year old colt who has been working on harness for the past few months. On Sunday we are going to buy a cart and my dad thinks I am going to die from him. well when we bought the harness I might have believed him because he was 1 then and did not know the controls and always tried to over power you. well I took care of that. I slowly thought him the comandes and now he knows them nicely, and for the over powering I put a bit on the harness. no he doesn't dare try pulling away because of a pull on his jaw. now he has manners with the harness but the only problem I have is he rubs his head on every thing so it is running the bridle. any suggestions?

My dad also thinks he will take off with me in it and I won't be able to stop him. once again, the bit. Times I would have lost contol I have been able to stop him within about 10 feet. any thoughts?

Last I would like to shoe him in jumping next year or cart in 2 years because he is good in both.(he once jumped his run ins barn gate with was 3 and a 1/2 feet high I did not know he did it til he ran past me so he did not hit it and he will not jump it again.) I live in mid Michigan and need someone to help me for little or nothing. ( i know it probably wont happen if they could do it for money, but I really would like it) just let me know if you know anyone who is willing to come to my house and do it.

Thank you!

Taffy Clayton 11-10-2012 06:48 AM

Your horse is probably not ready for a cart yet.

You need to do some more ground driving him, and pulling some stuff on the ground, like tires or logs.
You need to also work with him in "pretend shafts" made out of PVC pipe or 2X2's, put the pretend shafts on him and work with that quite a bit.
If your horse is not totally ok with the cart it will be disaster.

You might consider getting him gelded, that would calm him down a lot. You know the saying, "An okay stallion makes a great gelding"

He is still young, Keep ground driving him through the cold winter up in MI, and you might be ready in the spring.

I don't know anyone in MI, maybe you could look for a driving club in your area to learn some information from. MI clubs are listed at the bottom of this page:
American Driving Society

As for jumping, it sounds like you have a nice horse. To help keep him nice and his legs healthy, I wouldn't ride a horse till it is almost 3 and you deffinatly should not jump a horse till 4 or 5.

Good luck to you and your horse!

-

Saddlebag 11-10-2012 11:41 AM

I started my arab with a home made travois, an old Indian drag that the horse pulled when they moved camp. Two small diameter poll slide thro the loop then widen as they reach behind the horse to the ground. They need to be about 12' long. I just used poplar trees and nailed an 18" piece of plywood across, behind the horse so his heels won't strike it, and not touching the ground. I walked beside it ready to slip it out of the loops if he panicked. It get them used to feeling confined between the shafts and the noise of it dragging on the ground. The traces are looped over the horse's back and secured as you don't want to use them at this time. The first time you ask him to turn it could get a little touchy as he feels the shaft press against his ribcage so make the turns wide. If you have to haul on his mouth to get him to stop, you're doing it all wrong.

churumbeque 11-10-2012 11:42 AM

I agree you are not ready. He shouldn't be running off for 10' and you shouldn't be allowing him to rub on things. When you have a cart and he is scared and the adrenalin is rushing the bit won't matter.

ounominece 11-10-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1752060)
Your horse is probably not ready for a cart yet.

You need to do some more ground driving him, and pulling some stuff on the ground, like tires or logs.
You need to also work with him in "pretend shafts" made out of PVC pipe or 2X2's, put the pretend shafts on him and work with that quite a bit.
If your horse is not totally ok with the cart it will be disaster.

You might consider getting him gelded, that would calm him down a lot. You know the saying, "An okay stallion makes a great gelding"

He is still young, Keep ground driving him through the cold winter up in MI, and you might be ready in the spring.

I don't know anyone in MI, maybe you could look for a driving club in your area to learn some information from. MI clubs are listed at the bottom of this page:
American Driving Society

As for jumping, it sounds like you have a nice horse. To help keep him nice and his legs healthy, I wouldn't ride a horse till it is almost 3 and you deffinatly should not jump a horse till 4 or 5.

Good luck to you and your horse!

-

One thing is, he is a mini that is almost 10 hh. he is a monster to the other stallion who is only 28''. Everyday I work him out weather it might be in jumping or harness and when he jumps it has to be loner than 6 inches and over 2 feet high before he becomes interested in the jumps. and for the harness, if he cant find something to rub on within a heads distant he rubs on me if I get close to his head for some reason. Also I just don't relay on the bit alone, the bridle has a nose band so it pulls an that more than the bit.

ounominece 11-10-2012 02:23 PM

maybe later today I can get a pic of him in the harness, I took the bit off a few days ago so I could use it on the other stallion who has k9 teeth. (they grew in in the spring) and I forgot to say I wont geld him because of his amazing bloodline. His Great grand father is Boones Little Buckaroo and his grand father Little Kings Black Velvet. And his fathers name is Knells Velvet Winning Ways who had won a few local shows

churumbeque 11-10-2012 02:41 PM

you shouldn't allow him to rub on you you need to learn how to teach them some ground manners and that will help your driving also

ounominece 11-10-2012 02:49 PM

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...ow123/baba.jpg
this is him as of dunning summer

ounominece 11-12-2012 07:29 PM

I got the cart last night and hooked him up. he was great! he did not fight it at all! But he always wants to go slow, and when I get him going in a canter he slows down to a trot at the slightest command, but when we are at a fast trot he wants to keep going, same when he stops he just doesn't want to.

churumbeque 11-12-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ounominece (Post 1755084)
I got the cart last night and hooked him up. he was great! he did not fight it at all! But he always wants to go slow, and when I get him going in a canter he slows down to a trot at the slightest command, but when we are at a fast trot he wants to keep going, same when he stops he just doesn't want to.

So you ask for advice if he was ready to hitch and not one person thought he was. So you hitch anyway and you ask him to canter the 1st time hitched? This thread is ridiculous and I think you
are full of it.