The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Maine Registration, from another state (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/maine-registration-another-state-143155/)

tim62988 11-10-2012 09:41 PM

Maine Registration, from another state

does anyone here use Maine's cheap registration for their trailer?

specifically those in NY?

just bought a trailer in july, the state got $75 to register the trailer. but registration runs out 12/31 so i feel that it should have either been 1/2 price or should be good till july 2013.

long and the short of it, i don't feel like paying NY any more $$ they take enough and waste it at high rates for the "unfortunate" while i work my butt off for what i do have.

any one go through the process? any problems with police over them?

Mingiz 11-13-2012 11:13 AM

I have mine registered in Maine. Cost me like 207$ for a 12 yr tag. I was the 3rd owner of my trailer and I wasn't about to give MD taxes again for it..I have had no issues with police etc. You have to give them a power of attorney to register it for you...I used an agency.. Here's the url for them...

Staab Agency

Speed Racer 11-13-2012 11:17 AM

How the heck do you get away with having out of state plates for your trailer?

I bought my most recent trailer from a friend, had it registered here in VA and got a permanent tag. Cost me all of $145.00 total, and it's tagged and titled in the state where I live.

The only thing I'll have to pay on it from now on is personal property tax, and that will run me about $18.00 a year. Since I have a permanent tag, the registration never runs out.

Mingiz 11-13-2012 11:30 AM

Q: Is it legal to register in Maine if I live in another State?
A: The majority of our customers do live in other states, non-residents and businesses can register in Maine. As long as you travel interstate you can register in Maine.

This is from their website...I will be moving to Va hopefully next year. Will most likely register it there. Along with a stock and truck...:wink:

Speed Racer 11-13-2012 11:36 AM

What part of VA? I'm in south central, and the difference in the taxes between my area and northern VA is astronomical.

Mingiz 11-13-2012 11:42 AM

Be moving down between Danville and Martinsville. Our farm is on the Halifax/Pittsylvainia(sp) county borders.

Speed Racer 11-13-2012 11:44 AM

Very good, you'll be the land of cattle, crops, and low taxes! :wink:

I'm in a small, rural, wide place in the road called Red House. The closest real town to it is Appomattox. :D

Mingiz 11-13-2012 12:35 PM

I think the town name is Java but it's only like 1 1/2 hrs form you. Hubby probably delivers to your local Walmart.:wink:

Speed Racer 11-13-2012 12:42 PM

Hmm, we have more than a couple Wally Worlds around here. There are at least two in Lynchburg, one in Farmville, and one in Appomattox. I tend to frequent the one in Appomattox, because it's the closest to home.

Java is about 45 miles from Red House, so about an hour's distance. We'll practically be neighbors! :wink:

Mingiz 11-13-2012 12:48 PM

LOL He delivers to all of them...Cool... Well when we finally get down there. We'll have to visit and meet ya..Get to know some new horse peeps...:lol: