The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Organizing a sucessful drill team?? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/organizing-sucessful-drill-team-143171/)

equinegirl26 11-11-2012 01:10 AM

Organizing a sucessful drill team??

Well our pony club has decided to do a drill team and were aren't so "graceful"....LOL! By not graceful I mean horses kicking each other and bodyslamming going down the centerline (gotta love Kyle :D). We are going to add music once we get it down, so heres the pattern-

Trot down center line (double file, 3 rows)
split to walls
20 meter circle at B
thread the needle (correct?) at F
and then continuing the pattern twice

That's all we have so far...
I don't really have a question, I just wanted to share. If you have any tips I'd love to hear them!

equinegirl26 11-11-2012 01:15 AM

Who else is in a not so graceful drill team?

katdressagegirl 11-11-2012 08:01 PM

Hey that's cool. I've done a quadrille before, plus a couple freestyles and a pas de deux. I really enjoy doing this kind of work...creating my own test and then putting it to music. If you have any specific questions I'd love to help. I choreography music for myself, plus for others as well. I've done all the research on the USDF rules for musical riding...so if you have any super-technical questions again feel free to ask!

My number one tip is practice. The more people you have, the longer it's going to take to get it right. Good luck!

equinegirl26 11-11-2012 10:08 PM

Cool! Pas de deux is kind of like freestyle dressage to music, but a pair. Right? (:

katdressagegirl 11-11-2012 10:34 PM

Yep!! It's a test that two people ride that you create with some required movements then set it to music. :) Wicked fun.

Zeke 11-11-2012 10:39 PM

I've been on a drill team!! The horses weren't so dysfunctional as some of the riders lol. This was my first year riding with the team and we performed at a local pro rodeo, it was so much fun! It'd been a dream of mine to ride in with the American flag during Grand Entry. I even got to run a few sponsor flags and had a blast.

One tip I have is to switch up the maneuvers in the routine often, formation changes seem to be the most exciting for the crowd.
Posted via Mobile Device

equinegirl26 11-11-2012 11:01 PM

I'll have to try pas de deux sometime! (:

SorrelHorse 11-11-2012 11:08 PM

Better get those ponies in shape and over their kicking...I've been apart of drill teams and let me tell you flying Mach 5 at each other for a suicide and having a horse kick at another can put a real damper on things.

katdressagegirl 11-12-2012 10:47 AM

So if you need help with music editing...ideas and all that once you get things straightened out just message me. I have a program that I use that can be downloaded for free; it's a bit tricky to use but if really want something you can take to a show then it's really good. Or anyone else who is doing freestyles or pas de deux...

I'd actually even help you choreograph it if I had a video.

equineobsession3 11-13-2012 10:03 PM

LOL! Sounds fun(: