The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Communicating with Pictures? or Psychic?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Saddlebag 
#1 · (Edited)
I had an interesting experience today with my boy. We've just moved to a new barn and so are still settling in and getting comfortable around the new trails, etc. My guy's quirk is backing up in nervous situations, like on the trail.
So our new place has a nice woodsy track around the arena and the property.
After riding in the indoor arena, I thought we'd head out to cool down on the track. Opened the gate without dismounting and managed to BANG the door open with a mild spook. Went out the arena gate towards the trail...Got about 35 feet out when I realized I'd left the arena lights on. As I decided right then I should turn back, Ed began turning around. Immediately I thought I shouldn't let him since this is one of our "issues" but I let him turn. We went back toward the arena entrance where the light panel is just inside the door. I asked Ed put two feet into the doorway...I managed to use my crop to shut the lights off. Ed then - without me asking - takes two steps backwards and heads back in our original direction. Uh....this is as close to being psychic as I've ever seen him. And we continued around the trails around the property with no resistance. The funny thing is, he didn't seem to be psychic when I asked him for a collected canter...!

#2 ·
A good partnership with your horse will allow the horse to feel and read your body language correctly. I always make sure to have a strong connection with my horses before I even think about getting on them. If you connect with them, they will keep you safe and read your unspoken language.

Congrats on having a great bond.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
When my horse was so fearful, I began to have a little talk with him after each groundwork session to let him know what we would be doing the next day. It seemed to work. I don't know which of us it helped. I don't like having an agenda per se but we do also need to challenge a horse at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.