The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Unruly Pony-how do I fix it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/unruly-pony-how-do-i-fix-143185/)

PasoFinoPower 11-11-2012 07:34 AM

Unruly Pony-how do I fix it?

'Kay, so I went to rodeo last weekend, and I saw a little 2 yr old pony tied up, getting no attention. He looked so lonely and bored. So I asked the owner if I could lead him around. They said i could and they told me to not let him stop for grass. Remember, he's 2. But he did. So I concluded that if he stops to eat, we run. As soon as his head went down, I ran, and he trotted along. Now he soon got tired of running. So when he stooped for grass, he knew I was going to run. So he turned and bit me instead. FedEX did this multiple times. I decided to take him into the round pen. I set him out on a long line with his leadrope and he started walking. He would stop because he was bored, and i would at first tap him with the end of the leadrope on his fetlocks. He wouldn't respond so I would tap harder. By this time he would get tired again and he would actually try to turn the OTHER WAY. Now I couldn't get in front of him, so he would just circle around me and bite me.

This pony is for a 2 year old girl. Crazy, right!?!?!?!? Green and green equals black and blue. This pony is very rude and pushy. I think I'd see if twice a month at the rodeo, but is the way I handled things okay? Just wondering. Thanks!

Tracer 11-11-2012 07:58 AM

Well, since the horse isn't yours, there isn't really any need for you to worry - if they're foolish enough to pair green with green, let them be.

If it was yours though, I'd say get the little brat into a roundyard with a lunge whip to keep you out of harms way and keep pressure on him. When he tries to break through the pressure by stopping, up the pressure and make him go faster.

PasoFinoPower 11-11-2012 08:12 AM

Yeah, thanks, you're right. But yeah, if he was mine, i would DEFINITELY use this info. Thanks!

Cherie 11-11-2012 08:23 AM

No! I would not let you near my green colt unless I showed you how to handle unwanted behavior.

How did running for a reprimand work? Well, it didn't. It only turned a colt that was willing to trot (or move out in hand) into a resentful one that behaved worse after you handled it.

I would have taught you to give the lead-rope a good 'jerk' any time the pony tried to stop and eat. I would have taught you NOT to keep the lead-rope tight -- to keep a little slack in it and a little distance from the pony's head.

The object is to not try to 'hold' the pony's head up (you can't anyway) but to make him pay a price that he is not willing to pay for stopping and eating. When you get into 'push-pull' wrestling matches with a horse or pony -- either in hand or under saddle -- you only create resentment and they only get worse --- which this one did.

PasoFinoPower 11-11-2012 08:30 AM

sorry.... i'm not perfect...

Taffy Clayton 11-11-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PasoFinoPower (Post 1753154)
sorry.... i'm not perfect...

No one is,...... well almost no one.

We all learn a little at a time, mostly through experience.

PasoFinoPower 11-11-2012 08:44 AM

But I did!!!! I DID keep slack in the rope! I DIDN'T try to keep his head up!!!!!! I just thought that running was a good price!!!!! I'M SORRY!! I'll try to be exactly perfect when leading a pony. I'm sorry I'm not good enough for you.....

*sigh* look, i'm sorry for being aggressive. just having a bad day. Please forgive me. I'm sorry for being rude.

PasoFinoPower 11-11-2012 08:46 AM

Thanks, Taffy Clayton. Just so you know, I was directing the post I just posted about being sorry to Cherie, not to you. Just so you know! But thanks! I appreciate it. :)

Foxhunter 11-11-2012 09:18 AM

Cherie and I are both very experienced and although we can bot come across as being hard we are truthful.
No one is perfect, anyone who has been around any animals for any length of time will soon realise that they are always learning. It never stops.

I agree with Cherie in that I would not allow you near a green animal unless I had shown you how to handle it. What you did was a failure. You achieved nothing except making the pony realise that he could get away with what he wanted.

Learn by watching people who are successful with their horses, the ones who have well mannered animals and do not volunteer to take on something that you do not know how to handle - accidents happen all to easily.

Cherie 11-11-2012 09:21 AM

I'm not trying to be mean to you. I just stated that I would not want ANYONE handing my young horses that did not know how to handle them in a manner that would enhance their 'good' knowledge. It is just too easy to have one get spoiled and that has negative repercussions from then on.

I just know that you need someone to show how to do the right thing at the right time or the horse/pony will get worse. That is what I read could be happening here.

No one expects you to be perfect. I've done this for over 50 years and I am not perfect by any means. But I have taught hundreds of young people how to turn an ill-mannered, unruly horse or pony into a well-behaved pleasant one with good manners. You need someone to show you what to do and when to do it. Timing and feel and the ability to correctly 'read' a horse are not things that most people are born with. These are learned skills. When the results are improved behavior, then the methods are probably pretty sound. When results are not great, the methods need to be looked at.

Why don't you ask the owners exactly WHAT they want you to do when the pony tries to drag you around, 'pushes' on you, or tries to force its head down to eat? Ask them what they want to do if the pony tries to bite you? If they do not know how to effectively manner the pony, you are in a 'no win situation' and there is probably not much to be gained from trying to 'help' them.

This is what I was trying to get across -- not trying to be mean.

Cherie