The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bit Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bit-training-143206/)

lori3223 11-11-2012 12:38 PM

Bit Training

I need some advice/tips on how to get my horse to take a bit. I ride her now with a hackamore but I would much rather ride with a bit. Every time I try to put a bit in her mouth she will raise her head so that I can not get to her. I have no problem putting the bridle with the hackamore on her it is just when there is a bit attached to the bridle. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get her out of this.

PS. She was like this when I got her so I don't know what was done to her in early training that caused this reaction to a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Thunderspark 11-11-2012 01:28 PM

I would teach her how to lower her head, you put pressure on her poll and release instantly when she makes the slightest move to lower it.

I had one horse that would raise his head whenever I went to bridle him, I got a stool and stood on that LOL after awhile he figured there was no sense in him raising his head that I could reach him anyways.....

Elana 11-11-2012 01:43 PM

Some horses do this because the person putting the bit in their mouth bangs their teeth (yowzer).

I never had an issue.. I put my hand over the horse's poll (between the ears) holding the crown piece.. and my other hand opened the horse's mouth with my thumb (goes in there the bit rests) and guided the bit into the horse's mouth as it opened.. one smooth action. Can you put your hand over the horse's poll this way with the hackamore?

I suppose you could put some karo syrup on the bit if your horse likes sugar? I never had to but know some who did this.

lori3223 11-11-2012 05:12 PM

Yes she will let me do that. It is just when I attach a bit that she will start raising her head up as soon as I start raising it up. I have tried the syrup thing and she loves sugar but she hates it when it comes to that lol..

lori3223 11-11-2012 05:15 PM

Thunderspark: She lowers her head for her halter and hackamore but when there is a bit on it I can forget it. lol...She will have none of it.

Elana 11-11-2012 06:12 PM

Try using the hackamore and inserting your finger each time asking her to open her mouth as if you had a bit but you don't have a bit. Get her going with that really well and calm (takes a few days) and then try again with the bit and the syrup.

Just a thawt....

lori3223 11-11-2012 08:13 PM

Thank you Elana. I will try that and let you know how it goes.