The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Leasing a show horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/leasing-show-horse-143262/)

Horsealot 11-11-2012 09:44 PM

Leasing a show horse?

Hi!
My gelding is at a very basic level of training, but he is learning fast. The problem is that I have some BIG western pleasure/equitation shows coming up in July of next year. Several of the other kids I go to shows with are leasing been-there-done-that horses that have already placed well at the shows with previous riders. They have been suggesting that I lease a young horse at my barn already trained for these shows, but I feel that I should not be showing at that level until I can train my own horse to do what their horses can. Plus, I don't want to hurt the young show horses's training because I won't be able to keep up with her level of training. My gelding is also a barrel horse, not a WP horse.
Thanks! :-)

VelvetsAB 11-11-2012 09:49 PM

Ever consider that when a beginner rider comes into a lesson barn, they are normally put on a horse that has lots of experience, and is a been there-done that horse, because they have no idea what they are doing?

So wouldn't it apply to you as well, even if you aren't a beginner? When you ride a horse that has experience, you get to learn more then you would when you ride a green horse. Maybe you shouldn't lease a younger horse, but older show horses like they are.

Horsealot 11-11-2012 10:24 PM

Thanks! Yes, I am a beginner, and I'm hesitant to lease the mare because she's only 4, but she has a TON of WP training. Another option I have is to just take my gelding to the shows and put him in a stall so that he can get used to the atmosphere of the show, and I can be my barn's equestrian team groom. Plus, I can't ride any of the older trained horses because they are either lesson horses or being leased.

boots 11-12-2012 07:14 AM

I think it's nice of your barn buddies to be encouraging you to lease a horse that is ready to show.

But, if you would rather wait until your own horse is ready, there is nothing wrong with that. And it sound like you still have an opportunity to ride made horses, which is a bonus for the reasons VelvetsAB stated.

hberrie 11-12-2012 09:49 PM

I think you will learn more with a greener horse. You will both teach each other. If it's all about the ribbons than go there do that, but if you can put your ego aside for a minute. You may come out farther ahead in the long run.