The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Bits~ what do you use and why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bits%7E-what-do-you-use-why-143292/)

Catpeedontherug 11-12-2012 11:32 AM

Bits~ what do you use and why?

I'm becoming increasingly interested in bits.
How did you choose yours and why?

MissColors 11-12-2012 01:16 PM

I use a tom thumb. I don't give a crap what anyone says about it either. I'm not a heavy hand. In fact I ride at the buckle and use legs and seat more than anything and my horse neck reins. I tom thumb is the bit that they were using when I got him. I ride him in a snaffle the rare time we ride English. But honestly he seems more comfortable in a tom.
Posted via Mobile Device

crimsonsky 11-12-2012 03:17 PM

i ride both my riding age horses in this bit:
http://www.horsetackco.com/images/GS...-German-si.jpg
German Silver Loose Ring Eggbutt Snaffle Bit, Horse Bits

i like this bit because it is simple, soft (generally speaking obviously) and encourages contact in both horses with the loose ring however prevent any lip pinching with the eggbutt part.

PurpleMonkeyWrench 11-12-2012 03:35 PM

Myler Bit Stainless Steel HBT Shank
this is the bit i use. I tried him in several snaffles and it just did't work well with him

tempest 11-12-2012 03:46 PM

I use a Curbed Kimberwicke. My mare is most relaxed in this bit. I've tried riding her in a snaffle but she has proven to be most comfortable in a Curbed Kimberwicke.

equiniphile 11-12-2012 04:42 PM

My Percheron mare goes in a Myler single-jointed Dee. She's soft and responsive in that bit and it gives her a lot of tongue relief.

Excel and Molly (eventer and dressage horse) both go in single-jointed or french link eggbutts, but I use french links more because it seems that they prefer them just a bit more.

Arthur, my Paso, goes in an Imus easy-gait comfort bit. I LOVE this bit. Tons of tongue relief, a comfy copper roller, and an extra training ring should I need to school with a snaffle action.

My 4 y/o reining colt is in a single-jointed loose ring. He seems to like the nutcracker action.

My reining Arabian goes in a medium port, medium shank correction bit. Her training is impeccable and she responds to all seat and leg cues with a very soft touch on the bridle if need be.

Muppetgirl 11-12-2012 04:51 PM

My reining gelding, 5 year old, works in a medium port, medium shank correction bit....he's super trained with excellent seat and leg cue response, I use a very light hand on him as it is all he needs.....and for show time, I have a cathedral bit (:shock:Gasp) just for a little extra insurance at shows.....I have ridden him in it a couple of times and it really does help refine him just that little bit more than the correction bit....therefore a show day bit, certainly not an every day bit.

equiniphile 11-12-2012 04:53 PM

^ Can you post pictures of your cathedral bit? I think they're so interesting. I'd love to learn how to ride with one someday.

Muppetgirl 11-12-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1754850)
^ Can you post pictures of your cathedral bit? I think they're so interesting. I'd love to learn how to ride with one someday.

Here it is....now before I get flamed, roasted, burnt.....this horse was taken through his training up to this bit, it's not to fix a problem, it's to refine what he already knows......it requires a very light, consistent and quiet hand....Western Horse Bits-Metalab Antique Cathedral High Port Mouth Bit

Ballerine 11-12-2012 05:19 PM

I tried various bits for my horse.

A bradoon bit, a Baucher bit, lot of full cheek bits without big change. My horse's attitude was the same.

Now, I use a D-ring snaffle bit like Spenger bits.
But with this new bit which I have for one year, my horse is really different.
He relaxs more quickly and works better.
I recommend it!

I would like to try the Meroth leather bit. If you have any information, experience about it, tell me!