The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Complementing Bit for everyday to racing bits (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/complementing-bit-everyday-racing-bits-143303/)

Runninghot88 11-12-2012 12:07 PM

Complementing Bit for everyday to racing bits

I run in a chain Johnson hack. What would some ideas be for an everyday working bit. I currently use a sweet six life saver and a simple o-ring snaffle. I am thinking a hollis gag? Thought and opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacingLvr 11-12-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runninghot88 (Post 1754572)
I run in a chain Johnson hack. What would some ideas be for an everyday working bit. I currently use a sweet six life saver and a simple o-ring snaffle. I am thinking a hollis gag? Thought and opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Well sounds like you already have some good everyday riding bits, what is making you look at other bits? Purely curious.

Each horse of mine has a couple different bits for just riding...and it really depends on what I plan on doing that day.

Runninghot88 11-12-2012 04:11 PM

Just to change it up. And also for the fun fact of having all these bright color nylon headstalls :-) Actually I went to a clinic and they were talking about everyday riding bits that compliment your racing bit. I still am hazy on what the complimenting really means though. my horse hated the hollis bit, which is one of the reasons i would like one. But he was really responsive to the bit, needed very little contact with his mouth. I am not an expert in anyway and couldn't tell a person the specifics of any particular bit except for the ones that i own.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 11-13-2012 01:23 AM

I don't understand why you would want one if he hated it?

I think you've got a pretty good set up right now myself. :)