The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Trailering "Outfit" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/trailering-outfit-143347/)

sarahkgamble 11-12-2012 09:37 PM

Trailering "Outfit"

I may be moving my horse from my barn at home to the barn I'm working at while in school, which is about 1 hour 45 minutes away. I want to trailer him as safely as possible. So I was wondering what you put on your horses to trailer this distance? I was thinking shipping boots, a cooler or sheet, and shipping halter (or at least fleece padding to put on one of his current halters). What do you guys typically use?

equiniphile 11-12-2012 09:43 PM

I don't use shipping halters. My only halter specification is that it has a breakaway crownpiece/tab. I wrap with quilts and stable bandages, but I would go with boots if you don't have experience wrapping. A light sheet is good to protect against nicks and bumps.

Crescent 11-12-2012 09:53 PM

My instructor (she was Clinton Andersons barn manager) told me that shipping boots are more dangerous to the horse than without.
Posted via Mobile Device

sarahkgamble 11-12-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crescent (Post 1755284)
My instructor (she was Clinton Andersons barn manager) told me that shipping boots are more dangerous to the horse than without.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hm, what were her reasons for that?

sarahkgamble 11-12-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1755265)
I don't use shipping halters. My only halter specification is that it has a breakaway crownpiece/tab. I wrap with quilts and stable bandages, but I would go with boots if you don't have experience wrapping. A light sheet is good to protect against nicks and bumps.

Do you do both front & hind legs with the wraps?

BarrelRacingLvr 11-12-2012 10:09 PM

My guys get No-Bows with Standing Wraps and their Soft Rides....they don't get blankets unless they are in the stock trailer as it is more open and lets more air in when hauling in the cooler months. When in the big trailer it is insulated so they stay nice and toasty if we leave the windows up. And we don't haul then in shipping halters, have never had a issue with halters rubbing.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...36968296_n.jpg

Crescent 11-12-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahkgamble (Post 1755285)
Hm, what were her reasons for that?

If the horse were to slip and fall and get his feet stuck in the other wrap they could become more panicked and hurt them selves worse. She also has seen them get caught on parts of the trailer and the horses tried to run away but fell over and broke his leg because the wrap didnt tear.
Posted via Mobile Device

With Grace 11-12-2012 11:13 PM

Padded halter, a sheet, and wraps or SMB's...I learned my lesson with shipping boots, I won't use them again.

Joe4d 11-13-2012 07:47 AM

my horse gets put in the trailer, if its warm I'll put a fly mas on him and open the window. I haul that far once a week and frequently haul 4-8 hours.

Saranda 11-13-2012 08:21 AM

A soft breakaway halter and a fleece sheet if it is cold (below -20C) outside. No boots, no wraps, no sheets in warmer weather.