The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Weights/Heights vs height of horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/weights-heights-vs-height-horse-143393/)

Chestnuttiness 11-13-2012 07:47 AM

Weights/Heights vs height of horse

I know this topic has been gone over a million times but I couldnt find exactly what I was looking for.

I am a intermeditate rider who has been only riding on and off for the last couple of years due to study. I have recently got back into riding my two tb geldings 15.2 and 16.3 h respectively. I am perfectly comfortable on my 15.2 boy but my 16.3 boy is proving to be a bit hard to handle as Im a bit out of practice, plus my boys are going into there retirement phase now and I don't want to over work them.

Getting to the point now.....

I have seen a 13.2h tb x riding pony for sale and am thinking of purchasing her, hoping that with something smaller I can get my confidence back, plus she is only 5 with her whole life ahead of her.

My question is would I be able to ride her comfortably for both me and her,
I am 18, weigh approx 65kg and am 5'6, I have recently put on weight that I plan to lose as for the last 4 months I have done nothing but study, before I was 55kg.

She is quite slight but with a shortish back.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

MysterySparrow 11-13-2012 08:19 AM

I'm 5'5'' and my riding horse for a long time was only 13.3hh. It is going to come down to how comfortable you are on a smaller horse and if she has the bone and strength to carry you effectively. If you could post a picture of her, that would help a bit more.

BornToRun 11-13-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysterySparrow (Post 1755773)
I'm 5'5'' and my riding horse for a long time was only 13.3hh. It is going to come down to how comfortable you are on a smaller horse and if she has the bone and strength to carry you effectively. If you could post a picture of her, that would help a bit more.

^ This is quite right. Pictures would be helpful.

I'm only 5'3" and my gelding is 14.3, and my mare is 16hh (Makes mounting from the ground hard :wink:)

Inga 11-13-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chestnuttiness (Post 1755722)
I
I have seen a 13.2h tb x riding pony for sale and am thinking of purchasing her, hoping that with something smaller I can get my confidence back, plus she is only 5 with her whole life ahead of her.

My question is would I be able to ride her comfortably for both me and her,
I am 18, weigh approx 65kg and am 5'6, I have recently put on weight that I plan to lose as for the last 4 months I have done nothing but study, before I was 55kg.

She is quite slight but with a shortish back.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

The fact that she is in your own words, "quite slight" makes me think this horse might NOT be the right option. Also, getting a well broke, easy going horse will be the key to getting your confidence back, not just smaller horse. Taking the time to shop for the right option here will do wonders. If you are used to riding a 16.3 hand horses, 13.2 I suspect will feel really weird. It wouldn't work for me but we are all different.

bsms 11-13-2012 09:26 AM

Here is a picture of Cowboy, who is 13 hands, with my 5' daughter-in-law on him:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...637fd_full.jpg

Here is another picture of him, taken before the one above. It was his first day with us, and we didn't appreciate how afraid he was in his new home. He had galloped a dozen laps with my DIL and she ended up turning him into the fence and hopping off when he stopped for the fence...so I rode him. At the time the picture was taken, he had galloped a dozen laps before I asked him to slow, and had then done a couple more with this level of pressure on the reins. He stopped a short distance later and started to figure out stopping worked better if you did it in a more timely manner...so he started to calm down. That was when my DIL got back on him. So yes, the picture looks awful, but it is the only one with me (5'8", 175-180 lbs) on him:

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/8175/coboyfirstride.jpg

You can see Cowboy is short but stocky. His shoulders are narrow but his back is short & broad. His legs are thick and have a lot of bone. I'd guess his weight at around 700, so with saddle, I'm at 30% of his body weight. He DOES need to adjust his stride for my weight, but he seems quite content to canter or gallop with me on him. I have to adjust my weight in the turns because of his short "wheelbase". He now has an Abetta saddle that fits him much better than the saddle in the picture.

I see no sign that he is harmed by my riding him. But I really am at the upper limit of weight, because he has to adjust so much to carry me. Height is not an issue. I like riding a 'low to the ground' model! My 5'2" wife rides him, and appreciates that he cannot outmuscle her as easily. She doesn't ride a lot, and she also likes being lower to the ground.

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...ef786_full.jpg

Here is a good article on weight & horses:

How Much Weight Can Your Horse Safely Carry?

When I have more time, I want to try riding Cowboy on a regular basis. I think he will be a good horse for riding. He is sure-footed and was born wild in the desert. But he also has good conformation for carrying higher weights...