The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Acclimation to new boarding facility?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/acclimation-new-boarding-facility-143399/)

darahbren2010 11-13-2012 10:26 AM

Acclimation to new boarding facility??

So my 5 year old gelding is finally coming home today! How long should I let him acclimate in his new surroundings before I try to work with him? I have never boarded before so I am unaware of the situation. Any advice?

mls 11-13-2012 11:18 AM

No different than taking him to a show or a trail ride. You don't have days or even hours to let your horse settle in at either of those.

However be sure to follow the rules as far as any barn quarantine goes.

AlexS 11-13-2012 02:02 PM

I give my horse a couple of days.

jaydee 11-13-2012 02:09 PM

3 of my horses travelled from the UK to the US via road, sea and air then spent a month in quarantine. They settled in like they'd been here all their lives, we rode them three days later as our tack that was shipped separately with our household stuff still hadn't arrived when they did.

DancingArabian 11-13-2012 02:09 PM

I gave my horse a couple of days of no real work. I handwalked him and walked him in hand around a short trail and the property. He was expected to maintain the same level of manners though.
Posted via Mobile Device

filly05 11-13-2012 11:56 PM

It really depends on the horse and how quickly they acclimate. Some horses don't travel/move well usually because they just havent experienced it much. Then again some horses never adjust quickly, even well trained show horses that need to arrive a day early to a show just to settle in. You said you've never boarded before so is this your first horse or a new horse? If you are not all to familiar with the horse yet, use your best judgment and when he seems relaxed, take it slow. If its a horse you know and are comfortable with, you'll know when its ok. He may be fine that same day, or it may take a few days.

autumnheart 11-14-2012 12:00 AM

Congratulations on your gelding! That must be exciting.

filly05 11-14-2012 12:01 AM

Also keep in mind (if its a horse you know and there is trust between you) that the more you act like its no big deal, the easier it will be on him. Try to treat it like any other day. Of course if he's a complete maniac... don't push it, give him a day or two or it could be disasterous

darahbren2010 11-14-2012 02:29 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies! He is new to me. While I was making the payements on him thought, I spend about 4 days with him. (As he lived over an hour away!) But I did just a little work with him today when he got there and he did excellent!